Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Happy 100th birthday, Arizona!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Re: Happy 100th birthday, Arizona!

Postby Bubba Suess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm

With all due respect to Randy Newman, I think Reckless Kelly's version of the song is much better:

No video of it, but Reckless Kelly's song Arizona Skies is also really good.
Bubba Suess

Postby SeanReedy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Bubba, nice ending added on with the electric instruments. Poking around a tad, it seems that Reckless Kelly and Randy Newman have several common interests.
It appears that Randy Newman, much like the greater southwest, has some popularity with Europeans. I think I've been pleasantly distracted by all of these spots, and sometimes enjoyed northern Arizona as part of the same trip:

Did somebody mention thunderstorms, baseball, and the compositions of Randy Newman?

Winter/early spring training in southern Arizona?..I haven't done that yet. I've gotta make it down to my uncle's new place sometime (he lives in the neighborhood where the Giffords tragedy ocurred, but his near death experience there was with a rattlesnake in the the dark). I've been to his place just outside of Silver City (NM), but that was about 25 years ago.
SeanReedy

Postby lcarreau » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:04 am

Bill Reed wrote:Thanks Sean and Larry. Can't believe I forgot the frickin' title of the song. I used to play that one for gods sake! Great version with Linda and Randy, Sean. Looks like that was from a couple years ago.

Hey, Bill ... talkin' 'bout HOW all those years go by, did YOU happen to catch this ONE in your YOUNGER days ??? :?:

Last edited by lcarreau on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lcarreau

Postby SeanReedy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:43 am

I Talk to the Trees keeps popping up in funny places. It's makin' me think of this:

That looked like South America, so we had better get back on topic:

SeanReedy

Postby MarkDidier » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Arizona even has the Superstition Wilderness. Only got to spend about 2 hours hiking there last fall but I loved it...although Stevie Wonder seems to think that superstition ain't the way.

And since we're all having some fun with this, here is some blatant self promotion...

http://www.summitpost.org/superstition-and-halloween/758136
MarkDidier

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
lcarreau, SeanReedy

101 next week!

Postby SeanReedy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Time to hit the road!
SeanReedy

Postby lcarreau » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Reckon that you boys would love the special mystic atmosphere ... of SEDONA ...

lcarreau

Re: 101 next week!

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:06 am

SeanReedy wrote:

Time to hit the road!

Wow, thats a pretty well shot section of the film. Takes me home to the lest 6 years of my life. The first 15 seconds are them driving up US 89 north of Flagstaff and the Little Colorado River, through the Painted Desert Bad Lands out there. At 16 seconds they start up US 160, down by Tuba City's airstrip as they start the grade up to the table below Tuba City. From 51 to 55 seconds, as Peter points north, they go around the bend on 160 that turns the road more or less east, and you can see O'Leary Peak and the main body of the San Francisco Peaks north of Flagstaff. Then, around 1:00 to 1:07, they look down on the area where Tuba's airstrip is, but does not appear to have yet been, in 1968 or 1969 (and that wasn't shot in March for Spring Break, it looks more like May to June).

The next 9 seconds of sunset appear to be over Skeleton Mesa, but it's hard to really know. It is not Black Mesa. However, if my assumption is correct that those sections are of Skeleton Mesa, then it is more likely June, as the sun is very far north for the sunset and it couldn't be March for Spring Break. The Junipers on some small flat hills are part of the lowest sections of Black mesa north of 160, and out 2/3 of the way to the Yazzie Tire repair place, 7 miles or so west of Kayenta. I think the next 4 seconds is a section of rounded rock out cropping on the side of 163 just north of Laguna Creek, and it would be part of the Comb Monocline/ Ridge. At 1:19 you see Owl Rock, north of Kayenta, and at 1:21 it's Agatha, on the opposite side of US 163. 1:24 looks back on both feature which straddle 163. The next few seconds has them pan over Monument Valley. I think they are then out of order looking back on a mesa north of Kayenta, out near a turn off for a family I knew and their farm that was up a canyon. Some untouched ruins out there with 800 year old corn, and grain storing huts(?) stinking of rodent urine. 1:47 pans across the Abajo Mountains, and the sun sets on monuments in Monument Vally, sort of off route and south of 163.

Interestingly, it took them way too long to travel from west of Tuba to Kayenta, but they got to Monument Valley way too fast. Maybe they stopped for some Navajo Tacos in Red Lake?
Clark_Griswold

The following user would like to thank Clark_Griswold for this post
SeanReedy

Postby SeanReedy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 am

SeanReedy

Postby SeanReedy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:54 am

lcarreau wrote:Reckon that you boys would love the special mystic atmosphere ... of SEDONA ...

Well, it's good to see Mr. Larry still rockin'!

Ya'll watch out for dudes bearing music (that scene ain't the end)! :wink:
SeanReedy

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)