Superstition and Halloween

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 1, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking

A Quick Jaunt Through Peralta Canyon

It was just a quick four day trip and I hadn’t planned on doing any hiking. My wife and I were in Phoenix visiting some good friends, but when corporate America came calling our plans changed as our friend John abruptly found himself heading to Sky Harbor Airport on Monday afternoon. We all met at Four Peaks Brewery for a late lunch, a few beers and to say our goodbyes and it was here that I decided that I might as well try and go on a hike on Tuesday. Plans had changed, the morning was now free and as long as I was back by noon I would have enough time to catch my 1:30 PM flight home.

We headed back to our friends house so Cindy and my wife could get ready for the trick or treaters. I readied myself for a hike, trying to figure out where I would go. My first thought was to just climb South Mountain. It did make the most sense as it is a short 10 minute drive to the trailhead from their house. But it was Halloween, and I couldn’t get the Superstions out of my head. What could be more appropriate on Halloween than to plan for a hike in the Superstion Wilderness? I knew of the Superstitions but not any details so I got on their computer and 15 minutes later had what I wanted. The Peralta Trail sounded like a good choice; 4.9 miles roundtrip, 1380 feet of elevation gain; an awesome view of something called Weavers Needle from the Fremont Saddle, and easy access from the highway. My search was over so I got back to my duties of helping pass out candy to the trick or treaters. Happy Halloween!

Peralta Canyon: Photo Trip Report

The drive in...

It was a short 40 minute drive to Peralta Road. I didn’t know Peralta Road was going to be dirt so the seven mile drive to the trailhead took a little longer than expected - about 30 minutes. Of course it wouldn’t have taken so long if I wouldn’t have stopped so frequently to take pictures. It was a beautiful drive and the fact that the sun was just coming up on this desert landscape only made it better.
Sunrise in the Superstition Wilderness

Superstition Wilderness

Superstition Wilderness

Actual hiking...

The Peralta Canyon did not disappoint. This was my first time hiking in the Sonoran Desert and I loved the landscape. I’ve hiked in canyon country before but not like this. I suppose the early morning play of light and shade added to the experience. It was a quick two hour hike and too short for such a beautiful place. My short jaunt through Peralta Canyon made me realize that the Superstition Wilderness is a place that I want to get back to and do a lot more exploring in because superstition IS the way!
Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Weavers NeedleWeavers Needle from the Fremont Saddle

Weavers Needle

Superstition Wilderness HoodoosHoodoos near the Fremont Saddle

Northern Superstition WildernessLooking north above the rim of Peralta Canyon

Superstition Wilderness HoodoosA slew on hoodoos on the south rim of Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Superstition Wilderness HoodoosHoodoos on the Dacite Cliffs near the trailhead


A few panos...



Peralta Canyon







The south rim of Peralta Canyon







The Dacite Cliffs





Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.