Hiking tours near Brasov Bran Romania

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Gyrinus

Hiking tours near Brasov Bran Romania

by Gyrinus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm a scouting leader in Belgium and this year we're visiting Romania in Summer. We'd like to make a hiking trip in the mountains near Brasov. We're a group of nine 18 year olds and three 22 year olds. We are looking for a trip which takes about 2 or 3 days and like to sleep in the mountains in a sort of hut. I only found that there are some dome like shelters but not actually huts where you can cook something for example.

For me it's important that the hiking trip is challenging but still doable with a group of non experienced walkers ( they're in good physical condition though). I've been hiking in the Rila mountains when I was that age and we walked 8h a day and slept in mountain huts (Ivan Vazov). I'm looking for something like that , but near Brasov. Does anyone have experience in that area?

We are packed with all our stuff including tents, sleeping bags and cooking gear so the route can't be too hard. Any useful links, books or personal experience would be helpful.

Thank you!

Niels

damgaard

Re: Hiking tours near Brasov Bran Romania

by damgaard » Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi

The Fagaras mountains are easily reachable from Brasov by train or the Trans Fagaras highway.

You get to climb the highest mountains in Romania, but it is all on trail, so no climbing gear needed. Just a few places there are some chains for safety to hold on to. You can walk along the ridge and then the huts are some hundred meters lower in the side valleys. Great area.
Map, hut info etc. here:
http://www.summitpost.org/f-g-ra-mountains/154116

Return to Europe