How bad is late June lightning in the Pikes Peak area?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
deungsan

How bad is late June lightning in the Pikes Peak area?

by deungsan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 am

I'm thinking about doing an adventure race in the Pikes Peak area at the end of June.

Recently I started contemplating the lightning threat.

Because it is a 12-hour race, it will entail being out and about from approx. 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and a good portion of that will be on a rolling lightning rod--I mean, on a mountain bike.

Any advice from those with experience?

Dartmouth Hiker

Re: How bad is late June lightning in the Pikes Peak area?

by Dartmouth Hiker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:26 pm

June is *usually* not too bad for thunderstorms compared to the rest of the summer here; early/mid September is about the only part of the summer season that's less stormy. However, there absolutely is the possibility for t-storms even then. I've been caught in a storm on one 14er at 10:30 AM in late June, and almost was again on another...however, this was in the San Juans, which tend to have slightly more volatile weather.

My suspicion is that they might shut the race down if the threat of thunderstorms looked imminent. I'd say go for it, keep a close eye on the weather forecast and the weather, and have alternate plans if need be.

Return to Colorado