If anyone has hiked the JMT in 14 days please respond.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vladislav

by Vladislav » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 am

Seeing this discussion I wondered what the record time was. My guess was about 5-6 days.
Well, a google search came up with this:
http://pbakwin.home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/fkt/jmt.html
Reading this, I have the same question that the woman in the quote by John Stamstad asks: "Why are you here?"

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:07 am

Backpacker magazine had a brief notice 2-3 months ago about the new JMT trail record. An impressive feat in more ways than one.
I had the opportunity to leave a cache near Grouse Meadow when I did the JMT years ago, then I also re-supplied at Reds Meadow. Caches are not allowed now, glad I was ahead of the red tape.
The Vermillion Resort does a thriving trade in servicing JMT through hikers. That will be the best cheeseburger you ever taste in your life. They will ferry you across Lake Edison from a point only about 1.5 miles from the JMT. I was there last August and at least 3-4 JMT hikers per day came in for supplies, showers, lodging, messages, beer and other sundries. You can also ship supplies to the resort for later pickup. A valuable service.
14 days is an aggressive schedule for the entire JMT. Coincidentally that is the exact number of days I hiked the trail, south to north.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 am

i did it solo, or at least started solo, in 14 days with no resupply last Aug.

RangerJoe224

JMT

by RangerJoe224 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 am

I would have to say that it was a great accomplishment doing it in 14 days, but I do agree that I felt like I missed out on some more relaxing side trips.

I would definitely recommend, if you have the time, to do some side trips and take a zero day or two. It was very difficult to only spend a half a day at the Vermilion Valley Resort- seriously, try and spend at least a night there. The folks are very accommodating and its essentially a "hiker-bar"!

Try and hit up the trail to Split Mountain and Black Giant, both very worthy side trips that shouldn't take too long.

Happy Trails!

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 pm

kevin trieu wrote:i did it solo, or at least started solo, in 14 days with no resupply last Aug.

Wow, how heavy was your pack when you started? Did you travel north to south?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm

kolbi2112 wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:i did it solo, or at least started solo, in 14 days with no resupply last Aug.

Wow, how heavy was your pack when you started? Did you travel north to south?

70lbs + N to S.

no avatar
markv

by markv » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 am

Since this is turning into a thread where you either brag about how fast you did it or lecture on taking your time and doing it slower....

I did it basically twice, each time in 16 days. Both times with the gf, and both times way out of shape. Both times i vowed to come back and do it way way slower the next time, since it was tough and i felt like i was miserable in a place i should be in heaven.

There ya go. I bragged AND lectured in the same post.

Previous

Return to California