Monch in July

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
GavinQ

Monch in July

by GavinQ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

Hello All.
I'm new to this website and forum, in fact this is my first post. I am an experienced hill walker from Ireland (unfortunately we only have hills here). Last July, myself and 5 others took our first trip to the Alps and climbed Gran Paradiso. We hired two guides for the summit day and although none of us had previous mountaineering experience, we were all fit and managed quite well with the assistance of our guides.
The alpine trip has now become an annual event and this year we are considering Monch for our July trip. With our limited experience, is this within our capabilities, again with guides?
I intended on completing a winter skills course in Scotland in March but due to personal reasons, it now seems that this may not be possible and will have to wait until next year.
I have done a bit of research and it seems that it should be within our capabilities with the right guides. I would appreciate hearing first hand from anyone who may have climbed Monch before.
Also, if anyone can recommend a good guide company or even the guides themselves, I would be much obliged.
Thank You
Gavin

schmid_th

Re: Monch in July

by schmid_th » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37 pm

GavinQ wrote:Hello All.
I'm new to this website and forum, in fact this is my first post. I am an experienced hill walker from Ireland (unfortunately we only have hills here). Last July, myself and 5 others took our first trip to the Alps and climbed Gran Paradiso. We hired two guides for the summit day and although none of us had previous mountaineering experience, we were all fit and managed quite well with the assistance of our guides.
The alpine trip has now become an annual event and this year we are considering Monch for our July trip. With our limited experience, is this within our capabilities, again with guides?
I intended on completing a winter skills course in Scotland in March but due to personal reasons, it now seems that this may not be possible and will have to wait until next year.
I have done a bit of research and it seems that it should be within our capabilities with the right guides. I would appreciate hearing first hand from anyone who may have climbed Monch before.
Also, if anyone can recommend a good guide company or even the guides themselves, I would be much obliged.
Thank You
Gavin

There are easier 4000 m mountains than Mönch, f.e. Weissmies, Strahlhorn, Lagginhorn, Allalinhorn.
Weissmies is a wonderful and impressive mountain but not so exposed like Mönch. So if I were you I would prefer this.
Möch is relatively short but nearly the whole ridge is exposed. Technical not very difficult (some parts rock II) but you should be safe with crampons - if not, there is a long fall down.
But the guide will bring you to the summit. So it´s your turn if Mönch or another summit.

Wish you great climbing experiences in the Alps this year!

Cheers, Thomas
Last edited by schmid_th on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JScoles

by JScoles » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:52 pm

You will not run into any trouble on Mönch if you are climbing it with a guide. The normal route is straitforward and the exposed bits are on sound rock.

You will enjoy the exposeure.

Cheers

Nikman

by Nikman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:10 pm

As Schmid_Th wrote before: if you haven't any Alpine experience except of Gran Paradiso (which is not a climb but more a hike to higher elevation) Mönch is not the second goal I would go for.

A guide might bring you up the Mönch normal route, but I wouldn't force it if I were you. Go for some easier peaks first! The Mönch will still be there in some years after you obtained some skills and then feel safe for the Mönch :wink:

GavinQ

Many Thanks

by GavinQ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:08 am

Thank you all for your thoughts recommendations.
A mixed bag of advice really, all ver welcome though.
One recommending for, one against and another kinda 50/50.
Am thinking may go for it but am grateful for the other recommendations provided in case I change my mind.
Again thanks.
Looking forward to posting some summit photos in July.
Gavin

mountainmanjohn

Monch

by mountainmanjohn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:56 pm

I did Monch as my first high Alpine peak, with no guide. It is normally technically easy. BUT I must say the ridge can be very exposed and scared me at the time! It is however a great little route in a fantastic area. I have returned and re-done it. The conditions can be very varied on the route. If the rock is more exposed on the lower half of the ridge it is a great scramble. Go for it if you want to. (You can always turn back (if I'm allowed to suggest that)). The Fiescherhorn is another you can do from the same hut without too much dificulty.

GavinQ

by GavinQ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks Mountainmanjohn, words of encouragement, I like it! Great photos on your profile btw.

Moni

by Moni » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 am

The easier peaks mentioned are worthy goals: Weissmies, Allalin, etc. The Mönch is really not that hard but is exposed on the summit. However, with a guide, this should really not be a problem. I have climbed it 3 times by 3 different routes and I also descended it by a route I did not ascend.

Wetterhorn is also a good choice in this area.

The bigger problem with the Mönch is that you ride the train up - a really good way to get altitude sickness and many do.

Bart

by Bart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:55 pm

I feel it is somewhat dependent on what you want from alpinism; would you like to learn the skills to climb peaks unguided, or does enjoyment come from climbing classic 4000meter peaks , with guides if necessary?
If the answer is a) then I would consider doing a summer-mountaineering course somewhere in Switzerland/Austria and spending some time gaining experience on easy and less high mountains.
If it's b) then its up to you and your guide as to what kind of level of difficulty you think you can handle safely. Monch is a nice looking mountain and the normalroute sounds like a lot of fun but at AD- it isn't that easy, certainly if your only previous alpine experience is Gran Paradiso which is rated F.
I'm pretty sure its doable with a guide but again, think about what you want from alpinism! As another poster said, Monch will still be here in a few years time and learning the skills to climb it yourself might be a very rewarding process.

Best of luck with your climbing,

Bart

Rick B

by Rick B » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Another nice 4000er is Bishorn. It is an easy ascent and the views from the summit are breath-taking.

See for instance here, or here (sorry for the shameless self-promotion).

Also, the Tracuit hut is in a beautiful location, with great views of Zinalrothorn and Dent Blanche.

Return to Europe