Mt Morrison

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Brian McElwain

Mt Morrison

by Brian McElwain » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Has anyone skied Morrison's East Face in February?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 pm

During last year's California SplitFest three people splitboarded the East Face, but it was early April not February. They said the conditions were fine for sliding, but not sure what to tell you to expect in February.

Brian McElwain

by Brian McElwain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 am

Thanks for the responses. I’ve been reviewing the guide books. One reference rates the “southeast slopes” as class 2. Another rates a route on the “east face” a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being fall and die. Are these two different routes or two different interpretations of the same route?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 am

Brian McElwain wrote:Thanks for the responses. I’ve been reviewing the guide books. One reference rates the “southeast slopes” as class 2. Another rates a route on the “east face” a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being fall and die. Are these two different routes or two different interpretations of the same route?

I imagine the class 2 rating is for summer conditions (if your reference is Secor). All bets are off when covered in winter snows. With stable spring snows it is relatively common for to be skied, as mentioned.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:44 am

1000Pks wrote:What as many lesser thinking people consider the east when it comes to many High Sierra peaks, being that what faces 395 must then be east, is actually north-facing in places.

Here's a partial of the north face of Morrie, at

http://www.petesthousandpeaks.com/Captions/july00captions/wmp94/Morrison1094.html

WTF, keep the MLC SC out of the discussion, and I am pretty sure the OP knows the difference between the East and North Faces. Obviously he isn't planning to ski the NF.

To the OP, get a copy of Nate and Dan's book (if you don't already have it, EDIT - noting your 4 of 5 rating i believe you already have this reference). Description is (via 2nd hand beta) very accurate, though this still doesn't help you with you inquiry about Feb. conditions. Happy sliding!

Brian McElwain

by Brian McElwain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I think your right Bob. The difference between the two ratings amount to the addition of snow. Probably best done in March.

96avs01, yes I have Dan and Nate's book. They rate Bloody Colouirs a 3...yikes, was that a typo? An earlier guide mentions "hucking your body off the cornice and cheating death on the Bloody Colouirs".

1000Pks, the East Slope of Morrison is hard enough for me. what's MLC SC?

Return to California