Must-do hikes/climbs in the Dolomites?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
damgaard

half dome

by damgaard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 am

I did the half dome trip last year. According to the Smith and Fletcher scale I'd say that one is difficulty 1C or maybe 2C. Just so you have something to compare with.

On Smith-Fletcher scale 3, 4 and 5 you'll encounter almost vertical terrain, but the cables are anchored every 2-5 m, so if you fall you will not fall far. And if climbing is too difficult you just pull you b*** up using the cables.

I'd advice you to start out with a route classed 1-2 in difficulty and work your way up. Probably you'll realize that difficulty 3 is easily within your reach.

-jesper

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 am

gabriele wrote:
mvs wrote: .. suggestion of hiking the Alta Via 1 or 2 for a few days. For my wife and I it was a life changing experience that inspired us to move here.

Gangolf Haub wrote:And as gabriele said everything in the western Dolomites is boring 8)

the correct sentence was : As for my experiences the western ranges (Odle, Sella, Sassolungo and Catinaccio) are less exciting and fine that the eastern ones (Fanes, Tofane, Cristallo, Lavaredo, Sorapiss, Pelmo, Civetta)

I've been climbing easy and difficult routes in all (but Marmarole. Bosconero, Oltrepiave and Schiara) dolomites groups and can confirm that Eastern ones are much better than Western ones !!!
Waiting for you to visit the groups you're missing so that you can compare the ranges and agree with my feelings :D :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :D

Sasshonger, Roßzahn, Sass Rigais, Cadini ... looks like you are looking for the poor quality rock ? :lol:

Teasing succeded :-)

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 am

Gangolf Haub wrote:Teasing succeded :-)

really ? :lol:

Previous

Return to Europe