Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

New Editor Feedback & Bug Reports

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

New Editor Feedback & Bug Reports

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 pm

A new WYSIWYG editor is going to be put in place sometime today. This thread is for feedback and bug reports.

If reporting a bug or an issue, please include the following information:
1) The URL of the page where you have the issue
2) A detailed description of the issue
3) Details about what exactly on the page is causing the issue (photo, lists, combinations of photos and lists) and information to easily find and identify these problematic elements.
4) Browser and Operating System that you're using

Brief article about the editor can be found here:
http://www.summitpost.org/new-editor-sp ... ial/837538

Screencasts showing the use of the new editor here (no audio - best viewed in HD):
#1: http://www.screenr.com/Ay47
#2: http://www.screenr.com/Ey47
#3: http://www.screenr.com/ay47
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
Josh Lewis, rgg

Re: New Editor Feedback & Bug Reports

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm

I opened up an existing page to edit it, and then switched to the old editor and saved the changes (without actually making any changes).

The text in the image captions changed from the white (or light blue for links) to the less readable dark blue.

This is the page:

http://www.summitpost.org/desert-peaks- ... ist/605644
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm

OK the above only happened on my antiquated work computer that had IE7. That's probably the issue.
mrchad9

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Yeah, that seems to have been there before the new editor. I just created a class for anchors in the captions to color them white instead of blue.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby lcarreau » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 am

Yo Matt ... I tried clicking the "back color" button several times, then I clicked "submit changes," and nothin' happened. How does a person change the backdrop color ?
lcarreau

Postby Montana Matt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 am

lcarreau wrote:Yo Matt ... I tried clicking the "back color" button several times, then I clicked "submit changes," and nothin' happened. How does a person change the backdrop color ?

I probably should have done this in one of the screencasts.

To change the back color, select the text you'd like to have back colored and then click the back color button. That will back color the text you have selected.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
lcarreau

Postby Josh Lewis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 am

I'd like to give my thanks for making the effort into implementing the editor into SummitPost. Also I appreciate the money spend into it as well (this one isn't free, but it's what SP needed). For those curious where the editor came from, here it is. Matt had to do customizations to make it work with SummitPost as well as fix some compatibility issues.
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby hansw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Insert Image ->Search SP Images ->My Images Only ->Search->[my images are listed]->Click image to use [no response] ->Select [no response]->Insert [no image is inserted]

Where am I going wrong?
"I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder!"
- Richard Feynman
hansw

Postby Bob Sihler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

hansw wrote:Insert Image ->Search SP Images ->My Images Only ->Search->[my images are listed]->Click image to use [no response] ->Select [no response]->Insert [no image is inserted]

Where am I going wrong?

Matt, that's the same problem I was describing to you all on Saturday.

I've tried this on two different computers and in Chrome and Firefox and have gotten the same results.

Currently, I'm using the new editor for text and then switching to the old for pictures.
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm

SHIT!!

OK so I just tried for the first to make a full page with the new editor and it has a fair share of glitches. As I was writing and inserting images there are a few things I noticed that frankly pissed me off. I apologize in advance for any ranting...

One, it gets very annoying to keep clicking from one method of inserting photos to another (since "Upload" method is the default.

Second...there should be a button for inserting a small photo. Currently the system only inserts a medium photo and when you resize a photo (say down to 200px) the photo gets compressed and looks blurry (trust me this does happen) Is there a way to have small and medium photo size buttons AND the photo width entry?

Third, and the worst of all is that I simply clicked on one of the photos to edit its properties and it glitched out on me and put ALL the text and even the headers way to the left side of the screen and wrapped around after only a few words on each line! Not knowing how to fix it I typed Control Z to undo and THAT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!

There has to be a way to undo something or this editor will be seriously hindered especially when those freak glitches happen. In anger I clicked back and I then realized I lost everything. If these glitches are going to continue you might lose my support for the new editor...

The last thing I noticed is that it wasn't saving me a whole lot of time to make the page.
Matt Lemke

Postby Montana Matt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 pm

hansw wrote:Insert Image ->Search SP Images ->My Images Only ->Search->[my images are listed]->Click image to use [no response] ->Select [no response]->Insert [no image is inserted]

What image were you inserting hansw? This bug has been reported by Sarah Simon as well and I'm thinking it has to do with the Javascript choking on a special character that is in the title or caption. If you tell me which image you chose when you "Click image to use" I can probably figure it out!
Matt Lemke wrote:when you resize a photo (say down to 200px) the photo gets compressed and looks blurry (trust me this does happen)

It shouldn't happen in any modern browser. Can you show me an example?
Matt Lemke wrote:Third, and the worst of all is that I simply clicked on one of the photos to edit its properties and it glitched out on me and put ALL the text and even the headers way to the left side of the screen and wrapped around after only a few words on each line!

That sounds like something that could be fixed if it could be repeated.
Matt Lemke wrote:Not knowing how to fix it I typed Control Z to undo and THAT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!

That's right. Ctrl + z is not always going to do something in this editor. But a problem like what you're describing could be fairly easily fixed by editing the raw HTML and figuring out what is causing the text to align left. If that happens again, just save the page and I'll take a look and see if I can fix it and figure out why it happened.
Matt Lemke wrote:There has to be a way to undo something or this editor will be seriously hindered especially when those freak glitches happen.

There is a built-in auto-save feature that I haven't enabled yet. I have been considering enabling it but, then I'm concerned that it will save when people don't necessarily want it to. For example, sometimes I edit pages just to mess with formatting but I don't really want it saved. I might be able to figure out a way to make the auto-save feature controlled by the end user each time the editor is started.
Matt Lemke wrote:The last thing I noticed is that it wasn't saving me a whole lot of time to make the page.

Feel free to use the old editor. There is no requirement to use the new one. But I do think it will save the vast majority of users, especially newer users who are not very computer savvy, lots and lots of time when creating pages.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Josh Lewis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm

I created a video showing this issue: (and yes this is my unofficial youtube account where I do testing operations)

I tested after making the video just to confirm it has nothing to do with the select of the mouse position (if I make sure the blinking | symbol is on the screen). For some reason the second time I come back it suddenly works. As seen in the video it did not like the tall picture. This is because the editor sets the image box width to 375px when in reality the image is 500px wide.
Josh Lewis

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 am

Josh, in the video I notice that the first image in the search results isn't showing. Is that normal? I'm wondering if it may be related to the problem.

I still can't see what the cause is of the issue where nothing happens after clicking an image. I may need to try more image inserts until I can replicate it myself. Do you think it had anything to do with the particular image you tried to select the first time? It seemed to work fine on other images.
Josh Lewis wrote:As seen in the video it did not like the tall picture. This is because the editor sets the image box width to 375px when in reality the image is 500px wide.

If you resize the image, it should take care of the image box discrepancy. There wasn't a way to get the correct width in the Javascript to set the background div width correctly.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 am

Montana Matt wrote:

What image were you inserting hansw? This bug has been reported by Sarah Simon as well and I'm thinking it has to do with the Javascript choking on a special character that is in the title or caption. If you tell me which image you chose when you "Click image to use" I can probably figure it out!

Matt, I don't know about Hans, but here is the image I was trying to insert: http://www.summitpost.org/hollow-rock-p ... 5/c-307131

And on this page: http://www.summitpost.org/page-workshop/307131
Bob's Law: The rationality of a person is inversely proportional to the number of political and religious bumper stickers on his car. Around bumper-sticker warriors, smile, speak calmly, and get the hell away as fast as possible.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Montana Matt

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 am

Your right, the image that is selected indeed affects whether it works or not. Inserting my Whitney picture worked right away! The first image always does not display. :( When I sort it by "Newest" and "Oldest" the first image shows up just fine. Then when I swap back to "Quality" once again my number one rated photo does not display. :? Forgot to mention that I'm using Firefox version 18.0.2 (the latest version). I had my cache cleared (early today) before I even made the video. I have some testing ideas...

Edit: Same issue in Google Chrome even after clearing the cache and cookies.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Lewis

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Montana Matt

Next

Return to Site Feedback