It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Everyday hiker in the Desert Sun newspaper

One of our hikers in the mtsanjacinto.info forum has an article written about him in the Desert Sun. This follows another article about Doreen who has hiked the infamous Skyline
Trail/Route 250 times.
http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 0101070317
http://hikeeveryday.blogspot.com
http://mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=2033
Read more : Everyday hiker in the Desert Sun newspaper | Views : 1580 | Replies : 0

Whitney climbing conditions?

might head up there this month.... anyone have the latest snow and ice conditions in the mountaineers route? thanks... david
Read more : Whitney climbing conditions? | Views : 1384 | Replies : 2

Tallac Ski Access

I just read where the Spring Creek Road that use to get you a lot closer to the trailhead is now closed during the winter. Does anyone know if this is true ? This is the road that winds through the small housing area that dead-ends at the meadow. I am heading there this weekend and would rather NOT walk from 89 ! Thxs, Scott
Read more : Tallac Ski Access | Views : 1501 | Replies : 5

Is it possible to climb Chaos Crags (Lassen)?

I was thinking about Lassen earlier today. And I just thought about how you hear absolutely ZERO about climbing Chaos Crags. Now I know there are no trails to the summit. But this 'code of silence' regarding Chaos Crags still struck me as odd, especially considering that it is one of the more prominent peaks in the park. I should also note that this site alludes to the idea that maybe Chaos Crags is NOT ...
Read more : Is it possible to climb Chaos Crags (Lassen)? | Views : 1244 | Replies : 2

Tahoe winter backpacking

Heya!

Looking for some awesome places in Tahoe area (or around North or South) for short overniter snowshoeing/backpacking trips. Any recommendations?

cheers!
Read more : Tahoe winter backpacking | Views : 9652 | Replies : 13

Der Tooth in Mid Hills?

Does anyone know exactly where Der Tooth in the Mid Hills (Gold Valley area, Mojave NP) is?

A 1971 Smatko trip report speaks glowingly of it, commenting that he'd climbed it four times and saying "This peak is fourth class and I would recommend it highly for DPS status."

That description and the name sound intriguing, but that's the only reference I can find online:
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/dps/archives/dps02051.htm

Poking around on TOPO!, I can't find anything that ...
Read more : Der Tooth in Mid Hills? | Views : 2305 | Replies : 8

DMT, have you told this story online?

I noticed a while back that in his Eastern Sierra Ice book SP Parker makes a mention of some sort of epic that you may have had in the V-Notch. Is it written?
Read more : DMT, have you told this story online? | Views : 1229 | Replies : 1

Winter fun?

It's far from climbing season, but it hasn't been snowing that much in a while and resort skiing is getting boring. I'm looking for something else to do other than spend a boatload of money and trying to learn ice climbing right now.

Was thinking maybe it would be possible to knock out some of the easier 14ers during the winter. How much experience would be needed for Langley or White Mountain? Would either of ...
Read more : Winter fun? | Views : 1696 | Replies : 4

Bay area "recovery" hikes - 90 minutes or less

I've been instructed by my doctor to limit my hiking to less than 1 - 1.5 hours at a time and keep my heart rate less than 140 bpm as I am recovering from some surgery. All of my "short" local favorite hikes (Tomales Point, Johnny's Pond @ Del Valle, Mission Peak) exceed this restriction either due to elevation change (which puts me over 140 bpm) or distance. Any recommendations for beautiful quickie hikes in ...
Read more : Bay area "recovery" hikes - 90 minutes or less | Views : 4686 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557972 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459