Winter fun?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
seanh

Winter fun?

by seanh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:46 am

It's far from climbing season, but it hasn't been snowing that much in a while and resort skiing is getting boring. I'm looking for something else to do other than spend a boatload of money and trying to learn ice climbing right now.

Was thinking maybe it would be possible to knock out some of the easier 14ers during the winter. How much experience would be needed for Langley or White Mountain? Would either of those be insane to do without a lot of avalanche knowledge? Would snowshoes work or would I have to pick up a used ski touring package (never ski toured, but in shape and have been alpine skiing forever).

If those are stupid way out of my league, any recommendations? I'm looking to take a mountaineering course, but I don't think those are happening until closer to the spring.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 am

you are a long way from the Eastside. climbing anything right now requires patience, time, effort and a big team. snow's not consolidated so you need some fools out there to trample down the snow. most of the trailheads are not accessible so add a few more miles and couple thousand feet just to get to the trailhead. basic winter mountaineering will get you on most 14ers in CA. you can try Langley via Tuttle Creek or White Mt. peak via the west ridge in winter. both can be done from 1-3 days depending on your fitness level and snow conditions.

Whitney is also a lot of fun in the winter. you can always count on there being a packed down path.

Blair

by Blair » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 am

Kevin Trieu said...climbing anything right now requires patience, time, effort and a big team. snow's not consolidated so you need some fools out there to trample down the snow.

Thats where I come in. And maybe you too seanh. My dumbass just came down from my 1st attempt on the NER of LPP, ringing the new year in with style! winning the dont fuck up and die award first days of the year.

If another party wants to take advantage of our failure, the postholes are already there for you! Just put your leg in the hole, and repeat for...well...forever it seems!

Ok, so, back on track. seanh, get some information on conditions, get yur feet wet on some easy stuff. Hookup w someone that knows whats up and pick there brain, ask them to take u out. Its winter so the game is different, so I cant say go crazy, as we dont know your skill level.

Just my 4 cents

ps- kev, didnt you just try williamson recently? whats the beta on bairs creek?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 am

Blair wrote:ps- kev, didnt you just try williamson recently? whats the beta on bairs creek?

yes, attempted south fork of bairs creek. start at 6k at the foothills, posthole/slog/bushwhack through the willows/bushes/cactus/pines to one 3rd class section. follow the drainage up to about 10k. do all this staying on the south side of the creek. don't get in the creek or you'll get into a fight with the willows that you can't win. make camp at around 10k. traverse left from the group of pines/treeline to enter the main gully then aim for the headwall. the center of the headwall has one continuous snow gully at about 50 degree for about 800 feet. get up that, traverse the plateau at around 13k, gain one more gentle slope to the northeast ridge then follow that to the summit. once you gain the headwall, you can see the west and east horns. awesome view!

it is the shortest and probably the easiest route up Williamson in the winter. you can see the triangular group of trees at 10k and the headwall from Mazanar. i think there's driving directions to the "trailhead" on climber.org. you can get there two ways, by Mazanar or Foothill road turnoff going up to Onion Valley.

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Beta on Bairs Creek in winter:

DO NOT GO THROUGH THE DRAINAGE. You will not win, Kevin is correct here. Willows, powder snow, and creeks are no fun. I got stuck upside down with a snowhoe on and almost fell into the creek, LOL.

The lower north ridge can be used for avoiding the lower sections of the canyon. Might be able to traverse along side the ridge higher up before dropping down into the canyon too.

Return to California