It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Looking for Female Research Survey Participants

Looking For Female Participants For a Research Survey on Pregnancy,
Exercise and High Altitude Exposure

Very little is known about the safety of travel and exercise at high altitude during
pregnancy. Furthermore, although exercise is considered safe during pregnancy some
activities, such as downhill skiing, are discouraged and many women modify their
exercise regimes during pregnancy.

We are conducting a research project to study what kind of exercise women participate
in during pregnancy and whether ...
Read more : Looking for Female Research Survey Participants | Views : 7568 | Replies : 0

Bunion surgery

I have a bunion that is becoming quite painful when I hike downhill. Painful enough to make me whimper out loud. Painful enough that I am avoiding hikes with much elevation gain. I am considering surgery. Sigh. Has anyone had bunion surgery? If so, where you happy with the outcome?
Read more : Bunion surgery | Views : 13721 | Replies : 6

High Altitude Pulmonary Edema - research participants needed

I have a new research study just starting in the fall and I need subjects aged 19-45 who have had HAPE diagnosed by a physician. At this point I am just recruiting the HAPE-suceptible (the people who have been to altitude without getting sick are easy to find).

I will post the official flyer (approved by our IRB) below.

If you are interested and think you fit the bill as a subjects you can contact ...
Read more : High Altitude Pulmonary Edema - research participants needed | Views : 13298 | Replies : 7

Peroneal Tendonitis

I have peroneal tendonitis in my left foot. The pain is at the base of the fifth metatarsal which basically is about midway under the foot towards the outside. This has plagued me for years. One podiatrist talked me into a Topaz surgery in 2011. It lasted about a year and a half before the same symptoms returned. This is an everyday nuisance that just won't go away. It is very site specific in that ...
Read more : Peroneal Tendonitis | Views : 7069 | Replies : 0

FYI: Accident and Rescue Insurance / article at Wildsnow

Hi folks:
Interesting new article over at WildSnow.com. about Accident and Rescue Insurance.
Of particular interest is their discussion about Global Rescue (an American Alpine Club member "benefit")

Accident and Rescue Insurance Part One:

http://www.wildsnow.com/10177/accident- ... ac-global/
Read more : FYI: Accident and Rescue Insurance / article at Wildsnow | Views : 7663 | Replies : 0

Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis

I just have to vent about this insidious and difficult to beat condition. I developed PTT in July 2012 and could not run until January 2013. I slowly built my mileage through May 2013 and last weekend my arch started hurting again and it has become progressively worse. Hopefully this doesn't take another 6 months to clear. I've already reached out to my orthopedic surgeon and let his staff know about the reoccurrence.

Anybody else ...
Read more : Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis | Views : 6830 | Replies : 2

Insurance?

Hello all

I'm going to climb mont blanc in a week and a half and I still don't have a medical insurance.

I'm having a real trouble finding an apropirate insurance, including coverage for all medical and evacuate expenses.

Can anyone recommend a suitable insurance company, preferably which I can sign up to online?

Note: I'm currently living in France but my French is very bad so I prefer an international company in English.

Thanks, ...
Read more : Insurance? | Views : 10430 | Replies : 4

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

I've recently developed BPPV which my Dr tells me is a result of extreme altitude change. I am a speed climber / hiker and the rapid change in air pressure does not give my ears time to adjust. I have not been on top of a mountain in 2 weeks and am going crazy. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I deal with this without slowing down?
Read more : Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo | Views : 19709 | Replies : 4

HAPE on 14K foot peak?

I finally decided to post this story. Perhaps someone my find it interesting although it happened in California.
Mountaineering Experiment--Facing HAPE on 14K peak?
Read more : HAPE on 14K foot peak? | Views : 8196 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136400