It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:08 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Big storm passed.. where to go now in eastern sierra?

Hi. I'm seeking advice on good places to go this weekend.

I will be in Bishop area with a friend on Thursday and Friday and in Lone Pine from Sat-Mon. I was contemplating hiking Mt Tom, Hurd Peak, University Peak, Mt Mallory, Mt Irvine.

However, with the snowfall, seems I need to re-evaluate my plans.

Any suggestions on interesting peaks I could hike (class 1/2/easy3) given the current conditions? I don't have much snow equipment ...
Read more : Big storm passed.. where to go now in eastern sierra? | Views : 7932 | Replies : 30 | Forum : California

Cheap down jackets

End of this month, Alpkit has their down jackets back in store. At 670gr and 111 USD or 75 EUR for 90/10 700 (EU) Fill Power goosedown these are very good value. If you were still deciding on one for this winter, check these out! Might just save you some money and keep you warm.

Edited: changed image.
Read more : Cheap down jackets | Views : 8882 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Gear

First ascents

I have to admit I've occasionally wondered if I was making the first ascent of whatever the hell I happened to be climbing. Especially when the climb was backcountry, ridiculously overgrown, required an unholy amount of bushwhacking and suffering and bloodletting, lacked any interest from other folks, had no indication of anyone ever on the route, had no cairn on the summit, had only one way up (that happened to be loose 5th class), and ...
Read more : First ascents | Views : 6490 | Replies : 29 | Forum : General

FOR SALE: Arc'Teryx Khamsin 70 pack (tall, blue) $175 OBO

I have an Arc'Teryx Khamsin 70 pack (size tall) for sale. I've only used it on one trip. It shows a few scratches from traveling as checked luggage on a plane but otherwise is brand new. Its a great pack and is just doesnt fit my body well. Retails for $350. I'm selling it for $175 OBO. Here is the link to Arc'Teryx's site and information about the back: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Khamsin-70 ...
Read more : FOR SALE: Arc'Teryx Khamsin 70 pack (tall, blue) $175 OBO | Views : 1919 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

newbie rope question

Is it reasonable to use the same rope for rock(TR, sport) as well as for snow(glacier) and ice (TR)? Or is it more common to have a rope for each? I was thinking about a first rope, and thought it would be nice to get one that could work for everything in a decent manner, ie-mid 9mm, dry treated...thoughts?
Read more : newbie rope question | Views : 1625 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Gear

Re: 2 Person, 4 Season Tent...and I'm 6'4"

pagoda wrote:I'm looking for a bombproof 2 person, 4 season tent that's been proven in harsh cold weather high altitude (Andes) conditions. I'm 6'4", 180 lbs. I've read a lot of good reviews on TNF Mountain 25, but the footprint looks like it may be a tight fit for someone tall. Any experience or recommendations??

Thanks!

Hi, yeah, I'm interested in the same, but I'm not so tall. There are a couple of threads you might ...
Read more : Re: 2 Person, 4 Season Tent...and I'm 6'4" | Views : 4643 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Gear

Owens Peak, east ridge?

Does anyone know anything about scrambling up either of the east ridges of Owens Peak in the southern Sierra?
Read more : Owens Peak, east ridge? | Views : 2132 | Replies : 6 | Forum : California

Aoraki

Anyone climbed Aoraki at a reasonable price!!???? everywhere I look/enquire its several thousands of dollars!!! WTF??? its only 5 hours away and 3 days at the most right??.(in good weather)
If anyone knows a reputable guide let me know

cheers
Andy :)
Read more : Aoraki | Views : 4342 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Alpinist 11

Alpinist 11 is the last one I need to complete my collection (and 28 soon of course)

Is anyone willing to part with their copy and post to the UK?

Let me know. Cheers.
Read more : Alpinist 11 | Views : 1169 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

winter climbing bum

i was laid off back in the spring and enjoyed a summer of climbing and would like to continue climbing straight on through the winter. i'm seriously considering driving out to out to colorado to climb ice for several weeks this winter. anybody offer any advice for finding a cash job around ouray? or telluride maybe? i've never been to the area so don't know if they hire a lot of seasonal workers to wait ...
Read more : winter climbing bum | Views : 3442 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Colorado

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557977 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136472