It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:53 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Climbing Volcano Parinacota (Bolivia)

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had climbed Volcano Parinacota in late March.

> I read that there can be a lot penitentes, how tall are they at that period ?
> Can we climb without crampons, or are they very necessary ?
> Trekking poles enough, or ice axe useful ?
> Only snow slopes or glaciar/crevasses on some parts ?

Thanks in advance :wink:
Read more : Climbing Volcano Parinacota (Bolivia) | Views : 7430 | Replies : 26

Climbing Nevado Incahuasi (Puna de Atacama)

Hello everybody,

I was hoping to find somebody who climbed Incahuasi from Las Lozas rather from Las Grutas.
It seems that there is a running river for the first few kilometers (Rio de Las Lozas), which would help as the other track seems to be quite dry...

Las Lozas is located a few kilometers before Las Grutas when you come from Fiambala.

:?: As fas as transportation ...
Read more : Climbing Nevado Incahuasi (Puna de Atacama) | Views : 7620 | Replies : 33

Glacier & crevasse sizes on Aconcagua

Are the glaciers/crevasses on Aconcagua large enough to warrant 3 people on a rope, or would 2 be acceptable (reasonably safe)? In particular, am thinking of center or R variations of the Polish Glacier. Obviously, climbing off of the glacier would be hastened by fewer people. Let me know if you have any knowledge or even just suggestions. Thanks!
Read more : Glacier & crevasse sizes on Aconcagua | Views : 3991 | Replies : 7

Weather in Northwest Argentina

Would anybody know what is the wheather like in Northwest Argentina, in the Salta/Cachi region, in late february / early march.

We plan to ascend Nevado de Cachi (6380m), but it's not clear if the area is still in wet season, or already in dry at that period.
Simply to know, if there would be a large amount of snow there.

Thanks. :wink:
Read more : Weather in Northwest Argentina | Views : 3300 | Replies : 10

Villarica Volcano (near Pucon, Chile)

Hello,

Has anybody been on Villarica Volcano ?

It is not a major climb, however it is said to be very nice, as the volcano is still active (boiling lava in the crater).
I was wondering whether you can go on your own, as it seem to be compulsory to hire a local guide... any information ?

Thanks for any help.
Read more : Villarica Volcano (near Pucon, Chile) | Views : 2517 | Replies : 13

Ecuador or Bolivia?

1/ North-East of Quito : Cayambe (5790m / PD)
East of La Paz there is Antisana (5758m / PD), but less accessible than Cayambe

2/ South-East of La Paz :
Illimani (6438m / PD-AD) + Mururata (5864m / F) ... close to each other

You can also easily go to the border between Chile and Bolivia (5 hours from La Paz by bus / car) to climb Parinacota (6342m / F) + Pomerape (6282m / ...
Read more : Ecuador or Bolivia? | Views : 9078 | Replies : 10

Nevados de Cachi (near Salta, Argentina)

Hello,

Has anybody been in the Cachi area (near Salta, Argentina), to climb up to Nevado Cachi ?

There is very little information in John Biggar's Andes handbook, and I tried to locate the path on Google Earth. But I'm not sure about the accuracy of it all.

Anybody may help ?
Read more : Nevados de Cachi (near Salta, Argentina) | Views : 1879 | Replies : 5

ecuador

a couple of us are planning on heading to the andes for our first real high-altitude expedition next june/july. we are planning on heading down there for 15-16 days with plans to do iliniza norte, cotopaxi, chimborazo, and cayambe. i believe that coming from colorado with extensive climbing above 13,000 feet during the coming winter and spring, climbing only one acclimization peak, iliniza norte, will be necessary before tackling the big three. anyone have an ...
Read more : ecuador | Views : 11969 | Replies : 29

Peru mountain up for adoption.

I've done all I can on El Misti since I adopted it. If anyone is interested in taking it over let me know here. Cheers!
Read more : Peru mountain up for adoption. | Views : 1397 | Replies : 4

Proof of past climbing experience.....

I read somewhere that a person needs to show proof of ones past climbing experience before attempting to climb Aconcagua. Just curious what exactly this means and if pictures of past climbings are proof enough? Thanks
Read more : Proof of past climbing experience..... | Views : 1935 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557978 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136473