petzl counterfeit gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
gregorpatsch

petzl counterfeit gear

by gregorpatsch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Joe White

Re: petzl counterfeit gear

by Joe White » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:12 pm

thanks for the link. That's a bit disconcerting...

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 am

Man that sucks. I'm sure their losing sales from this. I'll still buy their stuff before I touch BD though! :D
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

SKI

by SKI » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:04 am

Black Diamond: Better Pro, Better 'pons, better tools (see the big screw up on the new Quark?), better equipment in general. Also, less expensive (though, not by much).

Petzl makes good stuff, but they're behind the curve and right now, that curve is Black Diamond.

Waaaahh they make stuff in China. Pah, what an ignorant claim:
http://www.tetonat.com/2011/01/26/black ... f-conduct/

Sooner or later, you're gunna be interested in trad, and when you do, you'll squeeze that gushy trigger on those sweet Camalots and become a fan for life!

no avatar
mjosoba

by mjosoba » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 am

Man, I can't see how some chinese company could go to all the trouble and expense of making the tools and dies for this and make a profit on something as obscure, or not mainstream, as climbing gear. Suckage.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 pm

mjosoba wrote:Man, I can't see how some chinese company could go to all the trouble and expense of making the tools and dies for this and make a profit on something as obscure, or not mainstream, as climbing gear. Suckage.

Yeah, it's definitely bizzare. I mean, it's climbing hardwear, not a Rolex watch or a North Face puffy jacket.

Hey, wait a minute...are all the rappers wearing carabiners as fashion accessories now? That might explain it... :roll:

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
mjosoba wrote:Man, I can't see how some chinese company could go to all the trouble and expense of making the tools and dies for this and make a profit on something as obscure, or not mainstream, as climbing gear. Suckage.

Yeah, it's definitely bizzare. I mean, it's climbing hardwear, not a Rolex watch or a North Face puffy jacket.

Hey, wait a minute...are all the rappers wearing carabiners as fashion accessories now? That might explain it... :roll:

Does not surprise me....I think a lot of folks here on SP hang this stuff on their wall for prestige sake....why not the masses in NY, Dallas and LA? Some guy in China is just getting ahead of the buying curve. Correction above.... Petzl did not screw up the design of their new Quark, rather the new Nomic...the Quark problems were/are inventory/material supplier related. Either way, I agree Petzl is writing the book on how to lose market share overnight on some of their more revered product lines. If they were publicly traded, they would make for a great short.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
SKI

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:58 pm

AlpineAffinity wrote:
Sooner or later, you're gunna be interested in trad, and when you do, you'll squeeze that gushy trigger on those sweet Camalots and become a fan for life!

I own a set of metolius cams and they do me fine.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
Alpinisto wrote:

Does not surprise me....I think a lot of folks here on SP hang this stuff on their wall for prestige sake....why not the masses in NY, Dallas and LA? Some guy in China is just getting ahead of the buying curve. Correction above.... Petzl did not screw up the design of their new Quark, rather the new Nomic...the Quark problems were/are inventory/material supplier related. Either way, I agree Petzl is writing the book on how to lose market share overnight on some of their more revered product lines. If they were publicly traded, they would make for a great short.

But Petzl claims none of the counterfeit goods have showed up in North America. It's the Eurodouches that are posing as climbers that this stuff is being sold to. Man, those Eurodouches are so damn phony!

SKI

by SKI » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Hotoven wrote:
AlpineAffinity wrote:

I own a set of metolius cams and they do me fine.

I own several as well (I owned more and have fallen on a few) and they work great- 'cept the range isn't as large, I fumble with the trigger more, it's not as smooth of an action and they are prone to getting stuck (at least for me) far more often than the Camalots do. I value the placement security that my Mastercams offer, but toe to toe with BD, ill rack the camalots whem I can afford to.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 am

:roll: It's an issue of the IP and manufacturing security situation in China. These kinds of fakes are usually not really fully fake, there's usually some legitimate connection.

Have a read of http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=446234 and see the post about eight from the end.

For safety equipment it is a real worry, no doubt. For clothing and some other items, the 'fake' gear may not be much different from the genuine product, and given how most people use, or don't use, their gear, and that Gore-Tex doesn't really breathe enough, and that REI has gone soft, the fakes are probably perfectly fine for most people, so long as they never know it.

Out now, all new and max-treme ... Placebo Gear™

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Damien Gildea wrote::roll: It's an issue of the IP and manufacturing security situation in China. These kinds of fakes are usually not really fully fake, there's usually some legitimate connection.

Have a read of http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=446234 and see the post about eight from the end.

For safety equipment it is a real worry, no doubt. For clothing and some other items, the 'fake' gear may not be much different from the genuine product, and given how most people use, or don't use, their gear, and that Gore-Tex doesn't really breathe enough, and that REI has gone soft, the fakes are probably perfectly fine for most people, so long as they never know it.

Out now, all new and max-treme ... Placebo Gear™

From what Petzl says about this, I would bet that these items were made by their supplier from 6063 aluminum instead of 7075. 6063 is far more common and is used for nearly all extrusions and a lot of items made from sheet aluminum, but is not as strong as 7075.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Counterfeit merchandise is a bigger industry than most of us realize, and it isn't just DVDs and sneakers. Engineering News Record had an article about counterfeit construction products and noted that U.S. Customs agents seized $260 million in counterfeit construction products in 2009. Of that, $3.5 million were electrical circuit breakers. Needless to say, a lot more probably got through. I guess the lesson to be learned from this and the Petzl thing is to be sure and know what you're buying and who you are buying it from.

Return to Gear