How is the Petzl Meteor Helmet?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
bearbreeder

Re: How is the Petzl Meteor Helmet?

by bearbreeder » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:38 pm

i went from a hybrid petzl back to a bd half dome recently .. the petzls foam cracked and it wasnt from a fall or rock

the BD does weight a bit more but it fits my head better ... i was considering a meteor ... but it simply did not fit my large noggin at all

IMO the hybrids are the way to go, both foam and a hardshell, for an all round helmet ... at the end of the day it needs to fit your head however, doesnt matter how light or cheap/expensive it is, or whether its foam/hardshell/hybrid ... if it doesnt fit properly

Dane1

by Dane1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 pm

bearbreeder wrote:.. the petzls foam cracked and it wasnt from a fall or rock

I have no doubt that more of the foam helmets are broken from packing and unpacking them in a ruck or in travesl to and from the climb than are ever broken while climbing.

They are fragile in some ways. But because I know why they break is also why I want one on my head while climbing.

You can't sit on a foam helmet without risking damage. And you have to be careful how you pack them and how you treat them while in your pack or you can easily damage them. Once damaged they need to be replaced.

They obviously aren't for everyone simply because you have to take care of them much more carefully than you do a hard shell.

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:41 am

no doubt they are more fragile ... which is life

the half dome i got also is a hybrid ... which replaced a hybrid ...

while im pretty sure i never sat on the helmet or other such ... anyone who has been on those fun roadtrips know that sometimes packs get squished with all that other gear in the trunk and things happen unfortunately ...

a hybrid is a bit less susceptible to damage IMO with the outer hard shell

ultimately its all a matter of the intended use and what fits your noggin ..

Dane1

by Dane1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:11 am

I once spent the night out at 12K in the Rockies in a snow hole I dug with an axe and my helmet and then sat it out on my helmet to get me off the snow. I wouldn't try digging with Meteor. In the same circumstance I would *very carefully* sit on it though :shock:

Might be a tough night these days since I seldom carry an adze!

no avatar
fredwest

by fredwest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 am

Previous

Return to Gear