Newbie questions for camping on top of mountains

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
yang

Newbie questions for camping on top of mountains

by yang » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:02 am

Hi,

I am an experience backpacking but have no climbing experiences. I am trying to learn how to camp on top mountains after class 2 or 3 climbing. My motive is to take sunrise and sunset photos. After tons of research, camping on top seems to be the only way to avoid climbing at dark. I know there are many other things I need to learn. So I am looking for some help. I want to use Mt Agassiz as an example, as it is the first one I am going to attempt.

1. My biggest concern is lighting and thunderstorm. How do you guys minimize the risk? I am currently checking two web sites: http://forecast.weather.gov and http://www.mountain-forecast.com, is there anything else I should check?

2. I know thunderstorm is common in summer afternoon. Should I absolutely avoid camping on top in summer?

3. I also bought books about Mountain Weather prediction and "The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, Trails, 3rd Ed.". What else do you suggest?

4. For the tent, I have Hilleburg Nallo 2 and Big Agnas Copper Spur 2, for my wife and me. Do they suitable for this kind of camping? I know it is hard to find a flat space on the rocks and talus. I am open to buy something new if it is necessary. From weight standpoint, I do not see bivy has much benefit as two bivys weight might be close to my Copper Spur. Also should I expect high wind at night?

Thanks for reading this post. I can only think of above questions at this moment.

Yang

WyomingSummits

Re: Newbie questions for camping on top of mountains

by WyomingSummits » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Mountaineers hike up at dark all the time. We use headlamps. For many mountains around the world, if you can't navigate by headlamp, you shouldn't be on it.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:16 pm

beean

by beean » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Hey Yang,

Start small and work your way up. Any smaller peaks nearby you can hike up and camp on? You'll soon figure your systems out.

You might be able to find a window between the storms and sunset if you know the range well. For example, storms roll in around 3 - 6pm here and I know they don't last long, sunset is around 10pm so that gives around 3hrs to boogie up one of the mountains nearby, an hr to find a nice composition and campsite.

Your tents are probably fine, I like bivys better for this sort of use because they have a smaller footprint.

The following user would like to thank beean for this post
Marmaduke

no avatar
yang

by yang » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Beean, Bill, Wyomming, thanks for the reply.

I am currently reading Mountain Weather: Backcountry Forecasting for Hikers, Campers, Climbers, Skiers, Snowboarders. Soon I will move to the one Bill suggested. Knowledge is the power :)

Beean, using smaller peaks to stage the climbing is really a good idea. I did not think about that before. I guess if I see the weather is like the attached photo. I should be pretty confident to go.
Attachments
mt agassiz weather.png
mt agassiz weather.png (295.53 KiB) Viewed 15599 times

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 pm

Please excuse me, but I have a question for yang ...

Where the hell's ying :?:

(I turned away from summits many times regarding weather, and it didn't hurt my reputation or feelings one bit.)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:18 am

Use a bivy sack. Perfect protection in high winds which could always come up unexpectantly. I've camped in winds so strong you couldn't stand straight but in a bivy sack it not an issue at all.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 am

Please, please, please don't build rock wind shelters on the summit.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:56 am

I love camping on summits. I like going high and then just hanging out.

It's a real pain in the ass, though, because you have to carry bivouac gear all the way to the top.

The key to an enjoyable experience is to travel light and bivouac with almost nothing except the essentials: sleeping pad, sleeping bag, bivouac sack. Leave all of your other shit at the bottom.

Eat dry food.

If there is snow on the summit, you might have a lighter pack if you carry a stove and melt snow for water instead of carrying water bottles.

Thunderstorms? Don't spent the night on top if there is a risk. I had a horrifying experience on the summit of Mt. Rainier in a lightning storm.

The alternative is to camp at the bottom of the peak, and start hiking at midnight with a headlamp to be on the summit before dawn.

no avatar
BigWas

by BigWas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:57 am

For the tent you will use, you should consider checking reviews first about the brands you currently have.This is very important. Check Outdoor Gear Up for further advise.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:01 am

BigWas wrote:For the tent you will use...

Tent???? You don't carry a tent for summit sleep-overs. Bivouac is the name of the game.

One of my first nights on a summit 30-40 years ago, after rock-climbing to the summit
http://images.summitpost.org/original/983758.jpg

Return to General