easiest route on ocshapalca?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
bledl

easiest route on ocshapalca?

by bledl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi folks!

I am currently looking for routes on ocshapalca in the CB/Peru. I was quite fascinated by that steep ice fluted face when climbing neighbouring peaks. It looked really hard, but now I heard rumos about a route around "D", what should be okay with me. I did not find accurate beta on this topic on the ocshapalca site. Anyone knows this peak well?
I feel comfortable on ice/snow up to 70° with the occasional steeper section (up to WI 4) and already climbed a lot of peaks in Bolivia/Peru.
Any beta?

gracias a todos! Flo. :D

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:45 am

It seems to me that the 1989 route (Casas, Obregon, Amils, Sunyer) should be close to D..."50-60 degree snow and ice fluting to 40m of steeper ice at the top." It's to the right of the American and Grasi routes. The American route seems to have a lot more "75-85 degree ice pitches," but I heard that it gets done a lot and often gets pretty stepped out with V-thread anchors in place, making it a pretty reasonable objective if you lead WI4. I've never done any of these, but I'd certainly try one or both if I were down there again. And it seems that we probably climb at around the same level.

Return to South America