Austria August 27-September 8

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Pete Castricone

Austria August 27-September 8

by Pete Castricone » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:19 pm

I will be in the area from 8/27 - 9/8. I'm looking for partner(s) to climb Grossglockner or any other interesting peaks. Would be willing to travel a few hours from Vienna.

Also interested in suggestions for solo climbs. Thanks!

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:39 am

Looking at your profile picture, you might be the kind of guy that would like to climb Glockner via the Pallavicini route. Check it out!

DoJo

by DoJo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm

WouterB wrote:Looking at your profile picture, you might be the kind of guy that would like to climb Glockner via the Pallavicini route. Check it out!

You might expect the first heavy snowfall at end of August - beginn of September in the alps.

The couloirs (Pallavicini, Bergler, Mayerlrampe) are often climbed in late spring (May/June) or in the Indian Summer (in Austria called Altweibersommer) in late September/early October (cold nights and sunshine during the day).

Pete Castricone

by Pete Castricone » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:39 pm

DoJo wrote:
WouterB wrote:Looking at your profile picture, you might be the kind of guy that would like to climb Glockner via the Pallavicini route. Check it out!

You might expect the first heavy snowfall at end of August - beginn of September in the alps.

The couloirs (Pallavicini, Bergler, Mayerlrampe) are often climbed in late spring (May/June) or in the Indian Summer (in Austria called Altweibersommer) in late September/early October (cold nights and sunshine during the day).

Good point. I was thinking the couloirs would be out at this time of year so hadn't really planned on that as an option. I am more apt to attempt a ridge climb.

Return to Europe