As El Niño grows stronger, so does hope for a wet winter...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
KathyW

As El Niño grows stronger, so does hope for a wet winter...

by KathyW » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:12 am

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:18 am

A dry fall sometimes gets followed by a wetter winter, so who knows.

As usual though, I'll believe it when I see it :)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:41 am

Be careful what ya'll wish for.

With all the fire activity of the past two years down in So Cal, ya'll will beg & really plead that El Nino never came.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:44 am

The Chief wrote:Be careful what ya'll wish for.

With all the fire activity of the past two years down in So Cal, ya'll will beg & really plead that El Nino never came.

No hills in my neck of the woods LOL

As I repeated many times, you live in the hills in Socal and you will slide or burn eventually. This year it might be both :shock:

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:15 am

No worries. I've got some pretty good rain jackets and a sweet pair of gators. :wink:

Besides, what would wilderness be without a little "wild"? Heck, I've even been thinking about starting a new sport: Mud Surfing. Simply wait until the rains come, grab your nearest boogie board or surfboard (sans skeg), and try your luck at the nearest mudslide. There should be plenty of slopes to choose from, and depending on the severity of everything, we might even get some good "mud waves" coming through the flood channels.

8)

Seriously, though, a wet winter would be a good thing for the reservoirs. And that's NO JOKE.

Gusto

tiogap

by tiogap » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:25 am

not sure if we will get a wet winter. back in 2004/05(when we got 30+" of rain), the storms started in October, and kept going.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:50 pm

I suppose an average winter would feel like a wet winter at this point.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:05 pm

tiogap wrote:not sure if we will get a wet winter. back in 2004/05(when we got 30+" of rain), the storms started in October, and kept going.

2005/06 we didn't get a lick of snow till New Years Eve.

It didn't stop till the end of April and it was the record setter.... 678"!

wingding wrote:I suppose an average winter would feel like a wet winter at this point.

Once again...

All you SOCALer need to remember that you live in a dry desert environment. That is one of the primary reasons that the Spanish Settler's continued north up the coast. There wasn't any consistent water to be had south of Santa Barbara.

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:33 am

For the last few months, the various indices have been tracking at the low end of predictions, so they had, last month, downgraded the forecast to "moderate" for the coming winter. However, I think that the more recent measurements push it back up higher.

The definitive site for El Nino forecasts:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... sodisc.pdf

p.s: 2 month lead, 3 month precip forecast, as of Oct 15:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 2_prcp.gif

Kerstin

by Kerstin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 am

MCGusto wrote:

No worries. I've got some pretty good rain jackets and a sweet pair of gators. :wink:

Besides, what would wilderness be without a little "wild"? Heck, I've even been thinking about starting a new sport: Mud Surfing. Simply wait until the rains come, grab your nearest boogie board or surfboard (sans skeg), and try your luck at the nearest mudslide. There should be plenty of slopes to choose from, and depending on the severity of everything, we might even get some good "mud waves" coming through the flood channels.

8)

Seriously, though, a wet winter would be a good thing for the reservoirs. And that's NO JOKE.

Gusto

You just triggered a memory with your mention of mud surfing. One winter in the 1970s there was a flood where I lived in the Santa Monica mountains. Me and my brother went out in it. We found the abandoned Pomegranate orchard we usually played in flooded in several feet of water. I remember swimming in rapidly-moving, aromatic, muddy water full of shrubs, sticks and other debris. We were excellent swimmers, accustomed to dealing with rough water in the ocean, but so many things could have gone wrong. I'm amazed we didn't drown.

I remember the 1998 El Nino when I lived in Santa Cruz. It was completely dry and fairly warm until New Year's Day of 1998. Then it rained for months without stopping.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm

wingding wrote:I suppose an average winter would feel like a wet winter at this point.

And how. All the tinajas on Bridge Mt are empty; that's not normal for this time of year. Vegas is at about 30-40% of the normal rainfall (which isn't much anyway).

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 pm

jhodlof wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

And how. All the tinajas on Bridge Mt are empty; that's not normal for this time of year. Vegas is at about 30-40% of the normal rainfall (which isn't much anyway).

Yeah, I'm wondering when we will start to see some moisture in AZ. It was a really dry summer and its been a dry year. There is all this talk of an El Nino and water falling from the sky, but it has yet to happen. Funny thing, the NWS gets all excited about an El Nino, but they themselves state, in the Flagstaff discussion about El Ninos, that an El Nino has a 50/50 chance of being wetter or drier than normal. The last one was really dry, the one before that really wet. It makes no sense. Why get so excited about something which has a 50/50 chance?

We live in a desert environment and I think, if anything, it will only get drier unfortunately.

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 am

jhodlof wrote:There is all this talk of an El Nino and water falling from the sky, but it has yet to happen. Funny thing, the NWS gets all excited about an El Nino, but they themselves state, in the Flagstaff discussion about El Ninos, that an El Nino has a 50/50 chance of being wetter or drier than normal. The last one was really dry, the one before that really wet. It makes no sense. Why get so excited about something which has a 50/50 chance?

Got a link for that? I'm guessing it's because they set the mean to zero but hard to tell based on what you've said.

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:28 am

jhodlof wrote:
jrbouldin wrote:
jhodlof wrote:There is all this talk of an El Nino and water falling from the sky, but it has yet to happen. Funny thing, the NWS gets all excited about an El Nino, but they themselves state, in the Flagstaff discussion about El Ninos, that an El Nino has a 50/50 chance of being wetter or drier than normal. The last one was really dry, the one before that really wet. It makes no sense. Why get so excited about something which has a 50/50 chance?

Got a link for that? I'm guessing it's because they set the mean to zero but hard to tell based on what you've said.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/Weather_Gra ... layer.html

I guess you'd have to change precipitation to snow fall. I watched that a long time ago and had forgotten it. I want a wet winter, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Interesting note, this is the driest year to date in Flagstaff.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/News/Oct09review.pdf

see the bottom

Nope you've got it wrong. Listen to it again, carefully. Especially #s 10-15.

Next

Return to California