ADK high peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
logikal

ADK high peaks

by logikal » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Hey everyone,
I am just wondering how the trail conditions are over there as of now. I plan on attempting to do all 46 in a week this upcomming month. I am not going for any records or anything, just a personal challenge that i thought would be cool. Any information about the current trail conditions and what not would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Check the New York Trail Conditions reports on Views From the Top:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=14

But frankly, it's September, there's no snow, the conditions don't vary much unless there's a major storm (high water and blowdowns). Expect a little mud, overnight temperatures to start dipping toward freezing, and the leaf-peepers to start crowding the roads in a couple more weeks.

EastcoastMike

Re: ADK high peaks

by EastcoastMike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:16 am

logikal wrote:Hey everyone,
I am just wondering how the trail conditions are over there as of now. I plan on attempting to do all 46 in a week this upcomming month. I am not going for any records or anything, just a personal challenge that i thought would be cool. Any information about the current trail conditions and what not would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

The trails, including the herd paths, were all in really good shape as of last weekend. Much less mud then earlier in the summer.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 am

just hiked the dix range last week, very good trail conditions, little wet.. i am not a genius but i am going to assume that it was wet because it was raining lightly...

Let us know how you make out! I will be extremely impressed if you can hike all 46 in a week.

logikal

by logikal » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks for the information guys.

It should be interesting as i just recovered from surgery, so i am going to do a few training hikes (for mileage on the AT) to see how i feel after that. Assuming all goes well i am gonna shoot for either the 1st or 2nd week of october. I will let you know how i make out.

`matt

triyoda

by triyoda » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:26 pm

logikal wrote:Thanks for the information guys.

It should be interesting as i just recovered from surgery, so i am going to do a few training hikes (for mileage on the AT) to see how i feel after that. Assuming all goes well i am gonna shoot for either the 1st or 2nd week of october. I will let you know how i make out.

`matt

At the very least you are probably going to have some ice on the peaks by October as it can get below freezing at night by that time. I remember Gothics on September 30 a few years back had a thin layer of ice on a lot of rocks near the top, just enough to be a pain in the ass. Some snow (I am only talking an inch or two) is entirely possible. September is pretty much one of the most superb months for hiking in the dacks, October is still good but may be more of a mixed bag, especially as you get later in the month.

Good luck with your hike. If you are fit, doing all 46 in a month seems very doable.

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:11 pm

logikal wrote:Thanks for the information guys.

`matt

Nothing like 7 peaks a day for a week straight to recover from surgery. You're insane but good luck.

logikal

by logikal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 am

EastcoastMike wrote:You're insane but good luck.

hah, so i have been told. I am going to do a couple training hikes to get a better idea of how well i am healing. If im not feeling ready then i will just haev to push it back and wait till next season.

I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for the info.

Edit: Fixed quote

logikal

by logikal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:05 pm

So i went on a "feeler" hike this weekend up in the dacks. I did about 20 miles which included Wright peak / Algonquin / Boundary / Iriqois / Marshall / Colden / Phelps / and Jo. I carried majority of the gear for a 5 person group to see how the hernia felt under load. As it turns out I was feeling really good which is an awesome sign as far as the recovery is concerned.

Had to move the dates back a little bit and also i wont have the 7 day period that i initially wanted. So i guess the goal is to get as many in as possible in 6 days from Oct. 22 - 27.

Anyways, wish me luck. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Maybe i will run into some of you up there.

Happy Trails,
Matt

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm

logikal wrote:Anyways, wish me luck. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Maybe i will run into some of you up there.

Good luck.

You may find this VFTT trip report -- about an unsupported ADK 46 traverse -- to be interesting reading.

logikal

by logikal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Alpinisto wrote:You may find this VFTT trip report -- about an unsupported ADK 46 traverse -- to be interesting reading.

Thanks for the link alpinisto. Thats pretty much exactly what i am going for. I will deff have to give it a read.

`matt

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 pm

So, did you try it?

logikal

by logikal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Unfortunately, both sets of dates that i had set asside winded up not working out. ( i could not get out of my classes due to exams and what not). Being that this is my last semester i cant afford to take any big chances with the classes. Instead, to atleast get out and do some hiking i did the Burroughs loops in the Catskills including Panther mountain, and the Devils path in single day pushes. These gave me a chance to hone in on a good pace to set and how light to pack. The devils path was especially a good endurance day as i had to bike the 30 miles or so back to my car from the eastern trail head after completeing the hike. This brough the total mileage for the day to somewhere around the 55 mile range.

My ADK itinerary is still sitting on my desk taunting me. There was a decent amount of snow and ice in the cats so i am assuming it is getting pretty iced up in the dacks. I think i may have lost my window of opportunity so it seems i may have to wait till May to go for it. Atleast that gives me time to climb the peaks i have not yet done so that i may familiarize my self with the trails which will facilitate my attempt at the 46 in a single push next may (or whenever weather deams it doable).

If anyone is interested in some winter ascents of the high peaks this season let me know, i will be up in the area as much as possible to jump on some ice / tag some summits.

`matt

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)