2009 Tioga Pass Opening Day Predictions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

by rhyang » Sat May 09, 2009 2:37 am

NPS wrote:Tioga Road Plowing Update for May 6:

Start: 35.2 miles from Crane Flat
End: 38.6 miles from Crane Flat (Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center)
Distance plowed: 3.4 miles
Average snow depth: 4.5 feet

bearbnz

by bearbnz » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 pm

According to the ranger at the Tioga entrance station, the road is punched all the way through, and they have a tentative opening date of Friday the 22nd. Skied Gaylor this morning, and a bike ride down to Tuolumne was supposed to be next, but some sections only have one lane plowed, and is expressly closed to bicycles. The ranger said maybe next Sunday...

Vertigo soul

by Vertigo soul » Tue May 12, 2009 4:42 pm

bearbnz wrote:According to the ranger at the Tioga entrance station, the road is punched all the way through, and they have a tentative opening date of Friday the 22nd. Skied Gaylor this morning, and a bike ride down to Tuolumne was supposed to be next, but some sections only have one lane plowed, and is expressly closed to bicycles. The ranger said maybe next Sunday...

bearbnz - what was the snow conditions like on Gaylor? About what time would you estimate the snow corned up? Since the days are longer and the sun is coming up so early, I found last weekend in the Carson Pass area that the window was much earlier, but that's expected. Did you get a look at Dana couloir at all, or glacier canyon - was it filled in all the way to the base of the couloir, or would it require some scrambling to get there? Thanks in advance for any info!

bearbnz

by bearbnz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:19 am

Vertigo soul wrote:
bearbnz wrote:According to the ranger at the Tioga entrance station, the road is punched all the way through, and they have a tentative opening date of Friday the 22nd. Skied Gaylor this morning, and a bike ride down to Tuolumne was supposed to be next, but some sections only have one lane plowed, and is expressly closed to bicycles. The ranger said maybe next Sunday...

bearbnz - what was the snow conditions like on Gaylor? About what time would you estimate the snow corned up? Since the days are longer and the sun is coming up so early, I found last weekend in the Carson Pass area that the window was much earlier, but that's expected. Did you get a look at Dana couloir at all, or glacier canyon - was it filled in all the way to the base of the couloir, or would it require some scrambling to get there? Thanks in advance for any info!

Gaylor still has good coverage, but the corn came in early, the overnight temps were not very low. I'm not sure it froze at all last night. If I were to go again, I would shoot to start my descent no later than 9. Couldn't really see the Dana Couloir, but still lots of snow over that way, it's probably good. We did see quite a few skiers over there.

Vertigo soul

by Vertigo soul » Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks bearbnz for the beta!

Robt

by Robt » Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 am

CalTrans says Sonora Pass (108), which is almost as good as Tioga, should open tomorrow, Thursday, 5/14.

bearbnz

by bearbnz » Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I had heard the 15th, but maybe it got bumped up. The warm conditions are killing the snowpack, it is reported that the snow circa 10,000' is melting one foot per day.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 pm

The earlier the better...

I have a date with "Night Shift"!

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Tue May 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Tioga Road to Open in Yosemite National Park

Visitors urged to take safety precautions for upcoming Memorial Day Weekend

Yosemite National Park Acting Superintendent Dave Uberauga announced today that the Tioga Road will open for the season on Wednesday, May 20 at 10:00 a.m. for all vehicle traffic. The Tioga Road, bounded on both sides by State Highway 120, is the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada. There will be no commercial services available along the road until further notice. However, there will be gasoline available 24 hours per day (credit cards only). Additionally, the Tuolumne Meadows Campground, other campgrounds along the corridor, and the Tuolumne Visitor Center will not be open. There will be pit toilets available along the Tioga Road. All visitor services, including the campgrounds, store, gas station, etc. will open over the next several weeks.

Visitors who are planning to visit Yosemite National Park over the upcoming Memorial Day weekend are urged to take extra safety precautions, especially along the Merced River. With the current warm weather and accelerated snowmelt, the river is running fast and water temperatures are very cold.

The park is expecting a very busy weekend. Visitors to Yosemite Valley are urged to take the free Yosemite Shuttle Bus to help with traffic congestion over the weekend. Visitors should remember that the busiest part of the day to enter the park is during the lunchtime hours. Short delays at entrance stations and heavy traffic within the Valley should be expected.

There are a limited number of first-come, first-served campsites available in the park. However, those are expected to fill up as the weekend approaches. There are many opportunities for camping and overnight accommodations in the gateway communities surrounding Yosemite National Park.

-NPS-

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 am

Werner posted on the Taco...Tioga opened about 4pm today (Tuesday the 19th. I think Luciano guessed the 18th?)

onBoost

Just another year

by onBoost » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:44 am

Too early to wonder when Tioga will open? Same numbers as last year except 2010.

Previous

Return to California