JMT - favorite spots

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
catalyst81

JMT - favorite spots

by catalyst81 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 am

I'm planning a JMT trip and I was curious what everyone's favorite stopping/camping spots along the trail are. I'm sure some places are more desirable than others.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 am

Depending on your mood...

Thousand Island Lake area. Might get crowded. Views of Ritter/Banner isn't bad.

Forgot the exact location but it is after Forester Pass and before dropping down to Wallace Creek. Moonscape like scenery. Utterly spectacular. This photo is not doing it any justice.

My favorite spot would have to be the lake below Sapphire Lake in the Evolution area before heading to Muir Pass.

mrwsierra

by mrwsierra » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 am

good for you. here are my faves. Garnet/1000 Island Lake (choose one), Evolution Lake, Palisade Lake (lower or upper), Virginia Lake, Guitar Lake. Cathedral Lake is great but a bit lose to the road.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 am

I've only crossed paths with the JMT in select spots but some of the places I remember well are:

Thousand Island Lake.
Rae Lakes.
The area south of Forester Pass.

Really, from what I've seen so far, the whole dang thing seems so awesome.

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am

kevin trieu wrote:Forgot the exact location but it is after Forester Pass and before dropping down to Wallace Creek. Moonscape like scenery. Utterly spectacular. This photo is not doing it any justice.

Looks like Bighorn Plateau, to me.

My favorite campsite is above Bubbs Creek, near Bullfrog Lakes. Great views of the Vidette's at sunset.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:29 am

I really liked the lakes around Silver Pass- unfortunately we didn't get to camp there due to bad weather when we were there. Otherwise we'd have made it a short day and camped near the pass.

If you want to grab a 14er on the way, the large unnamed lake just west of Prater and Split Mountain is a great spot. Very scenic and you'll likely have it all to yourself. It's not far from the trail, but (easy) cross country and no one seems to go the extra few steps.

We got into the habit of camping at lakes just below the passes, on the north side of them usually, and then doing the passes in the morning. All of them are ridiculously scenic, including everything the others have mentioned. It's all so great- I wouldn't spend too much time trying to force yourself to hit a particular series of spots for camping.

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 am

I recommend Marie Lake. It's far enough away from most trailhead that you'll only be seeing thru hikers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/117337101/

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 am

kevin trieu wrote:Forgot the exact location but it is after Forester Pass and before dropping down to Wallace Creek. Moonscape like scenery. Utterly spectacular. This photo is not doing it any justice.

I believe that you're referring to Bighorn Plateau, site of one of the best panoramas in the High Sierra:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/538469/Tawny-Point.html

kevin trieu wrote:My favorite spot would have to be the lake below Sapphire Lake in the Evolution area before heading to Muir Pass.

Agreed!

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

JasonH wrote:My favorite campsite is above Bubbs Creek, near Bullfrog Lakes. Great views of the Vidette's at sunset.

+1

and Evolution Lake

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm

foweyman,

Beautiful shots, though that first one looks like you're much closer to Kearsarge Pass than the JMT. I agree though that that area: Bullfrog Lake/Vidette Meadow is awesome.

In some ways the original question posed by this thread seems unnecessary since you're going to have eye popping scenery for most of the 212 miles.

rlshattuck

this JMT thing . . .

by rlshattuck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I've done it nine times since '96 and while all of the suggested spots are grand, I have been trying the last few times to hit the spots in between all of these––places I have walked past on my way to so and so and thought, this is great. wish I could stop here . . . this is kinda what keeps me coming back to the best trail around . . . this summer though . . . HST.

That little pond there is "no name Lake" and it's on the bighorn plateau. it's one of those places I've always just looked at as I hustled past to make it to wherever . . . this year I finally camped there––word of warning––if you stay there, pitch your tent well away from the edge of the lake and DEFINITELY stay off the grass.

Last september I had the pleasure of watching a ranger make a whole camp of three tents, pick up and move another fifty yards. It's a great spot to spend the night and just a few casual hours from Guitar lake.

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:30 am

fatdad wrote:Beautiful shots, though that first one looks like you're much closer to Kearsarge Pass than the JMT. I agree though that that area: Bullfrog Lake/Vidette Meadow is awesome.

In some ways the original question posed by this thread seems unnecessary since you're going to have eye popping scenery for most of the 212 miles.

Thanks fatdad. The Bullfrog Lake photo was taken about 1 mi from the JMT and 1.5 from Kearsarge Pass. There is good scenery all along the trail, but some areas (many of them mentioned in this thread) are more eyepoping than others. I especially like the lakes near treeline and not so much the low stretches in the canyons. Someone mentioned the unnamed? lake below Sapphire Lake (towards the back):

and Bighorn Plateau

Garnet Lake (just south of Thousand Person Lake) isn't bad either:

no avatar
markv

by markv » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 am

I start thinking of a few favorite places, and then i think of a few more, and a few more.

Seriously, the JMT is one route where you don't need specific recommendations. Just wander, and you won't go wrong. Every place is amazing. I wouldn't say that about any other area.

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Le Conte Canyon is an awesome place to be. Especially when the wild flowers are going.

Return to California