Routing with GPS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 am

Why not just create two routes, like I suggested, and activate whichever one you will use or are using?

neghafi

by neghafi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 am

because sometimes you may have multiple routes that share a section. I'm lazy and I don't like to do it by choice. anyway there is no other choice.
I thought I may be possible that GPS treat with routes like a (city) network and do a simple navigation like it does routing by a map.

Moni

by Moni » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
Moni wrote:Okay, I buy into that, but can it do that with routes? I think the intent of the question is to use a stored series of waypoints, to create a multi-segmented route. Not so sure that's feasible.

Yes, I agree. I guess the problem is that he is doing this on the fly, but I can't quite figure out why it must be done that way.

Knowing what I know about GIS and its programming (and GPS treats tracks and routes similarly), it has to do what it does to create lines and polygons. The GPS itself just collects positions. It's the software that instructs it to either (1) leave the positions as is or average them into a single point (2) connect the positions with a line segment (3) do the former, but upon closure connect the last position to the first to close it (mostly in order to calculate area) Thus the multibranch figure is a bit above its ability. It would require (as GIS does) a database in the background that would allow multiple lines to be viewed as one layer and would allow those segments to have other segments in common. The software maps as well as full blown GIS can be uploaded into a GPS, but you just can't do this on the fly. For that, you would need something more on the order of regular computer with the software and interactive capabilities of mapping software. Trimble makes those - they are basically handheld computers with GPS capabilties, but a touch pricey (JUNO's start at 1500$ plus software)

Diego Sahagún

Re: Routing with GPS

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

neghafi wrote:Many mountains has not only one safe route on a face and some routes may joints each other a share a part of them.
Till now, I create each route separately so I have 2 (or more) routes on the shared section (right). I want to know if I split such Routes at shared section and create a only one route in that part then I'm still able to use routing functions only in 1 stage. (left)

This needs GPS can join virtually 2 (or more) routes but make it easy for me to creating routes specially with long shared part.

I'm not sure if it's possible so I asked if anyone knows. btw I use colorado300 if it matters

neghafi, I think that the problem is that in the right draw both routes don't have the same waypoints on the C-D section, so it wouldn't be impossible to join them

neghafi

by neghafi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Sorry Diego but I didn't get what you meant. I just want to mention there is no problem. It's a case of doing something more easily :wink:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

The problem is that it can be done easily mate. The solution is the draw to the right

neghafi

by neghafi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 am

if only one routing is considered YES only right is available. but left option is OK if two stage routing can be done. I wish Garmin make left option available by only one routing too.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 am

It's only a wish wich can't be fulfilled, sorry

neghafi

by neghafi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:22 pm

I believe it's possible as possible in routing of routable street maps

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 pm

How is it possible :?:

neghafi

by neghafi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:17 am

Possible as like in routable maps. routable maps has separate links (roads) and when defining destination the GPS will try to find the shortest path (of roads) to the destination. it means that, it can find all reasonable routes to destination and find the shortest.
Now just imagine if it can do a same thing (finding reasonable routes) by using routes instead of roads.
It is possible!

Previous

Return to General