Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Cycling As Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Postby welle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:51 pm

^^^lately there has been a problem with Glee - the plot has gotten thicker and there are less singing numbers, ugh!

as for swimming, I have one problem with it - very few people have the technique and stamina to swim hard enough to get the same cardiovascular/toning benefit of running and cycling, IMO. Most people you see in the pool do very casual laps. Unless you're very disciplined to do hard lap workouts on your own or are in master class clinics, nobody ever gives their all when swimming, IMO. That's why you see a lot of fat swimmers. People think they have worked out a lot so they go gorge themselves, while in reality they only burned like 100 calories...
welle

Postby battledome » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:40 pm

welle wrote:as for swimming, I have one problem with it - very few people have the technique and stamina to swim hard enough to get the same cardiovascular/toning benefit of running and cycling, IMO.

Dude... I am so there. My butt must be made of lead, because I sink like a stone in the pool. I kick and kick and kick until I'm completely exhausted and I go nowhere. I can only make it about one pool length.
battledome

Postby BrunoM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Would you say that swimming 2k in 50 minutes is a sufficient workout?

I'm pretty sure that's all I have in me :)
BrunoM

Postby John Duffield » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:09 pm

welle wrote: That's why you see a lot of fat swimmers. People think they have worked out a lot so they go gorge themselves, while in reality they only burned like 100 calories...

Fat swimmers :lol:

An excellent point and worthy of comment, not like it has anything to do with the topic. People who exercise for weight loss are out of luck. An hour of running might burn 800 calories. A couple of Bagels can blow that away in 5 minutes. Cycling would again depend on whether you gave it your all or not, but the general rule is 2 - 3 miles of cycling equal 1 mile of running.
John Duffield

Previous

Return to Technique and Training