Grrr, weather is killing me :)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
alleyehave

Grrr, weather is killing me :)

by alleyehave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:05 am

I live in San Diego, I want to climb this upcoming end of the week...3-4 days to spare. Initially wanted to do the North Ridge of LPP...but deemed it too hot. Then the needles, too hot. J-Tree...too hot...Red Rocks...too hot....Zion? Too hot.... Tahquitz...just spent 3 days there, and it's getting waaarm....

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

mrchad9

Re: Grrr, weather is killing me :)

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:33 am

1000Pks wrote:
alleyehave wrote:I live in San Diego, I want to climb this upcoming end of the week...3-4 days to spare. Initially wanted to do the North Ridge of LPP...but deemed it too hot. Then the needles, too hot. J-Tree...too hot...Red Rocks...too hot....Zion? Too hot.... Tahquitz...just spent 3 days there, and it's getting waaarm....

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Just head up above 10,000 feet. Or head for the Pac NW. Maybe rock gym?

The first two suggestions are excellent.

If you have a problem with the weather in CA then you have issues!!!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Zion? Too hot....

Zion isn't too hot if you stick to the narrow canyons.

It's not big wall, but you like climbing rather than descending, climbing up the Subway is fun. Maybe 5.6.

Climbing up Echo would also be fun. Right now the canyon is officially closed because of snow, but it should be open soon. With an ice axe and crampons and a standard rack, it would be fun to climb up Middle Echo. Climbing upcanyon requires no permit.

Imlay or Kolob (if open) are nice.

The canyons might not be your thing, but in summer they are nice (as long as no flash flood danger). Last time I was in Zion was during a record breaking heat wave (vistitor center was 111F and another place near St. George was 118F, breaking the state record), but the canyons were excellent.

Rob

by Rob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm

TUOLUMNE MEADOWS! :D :D :D

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm

I wish heat was my problem. Every time I plan to go I get rained out. I'm redoing my boulder cave as a result but I might have to suck it up and go to the gym this week if I get rained out again. :(

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:02 pm

FortMental wrote:...try the mall. It's a great air conditioned place to work out:

Carboload with an Orange Julius, honey pretzel, and a cinnabun. Warm up with a power walk on the lower level. Here the big one: climb up the stairs to the upper level. Cool down in a massage chair at brookstone. Recover with a Fuddruckers 3 lb. burger and a half cubic yard of fries. Relax at the multiplex, watching New Moon, with a container of popcorn and gallon of coke. Don't come out till dark.

x2.

SD is just too far for stuff north of Lone Pine, imo. Getting through Victorville and that horrible section of the 395 where there's every kind of fast food joints available to the desert fatties is just painful.

Pine Creek area? Whitney Portal area? Mammoth Area? TM? The High Sierra!!!

But like the other dude mentioned, if you run out of places to climb in the CA summer, you've got issues.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Night time :). We night hiked Gorgonio this past weekend; it was really nice.

alleyehave

by alleyehave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 am

Haha, I dont mind heat, but climbing in triple digits sucks...I don't care who you are, especially when the rock is too hot to touch. Anywho, we are going back to Tahquitz for a couple of days :D

alleyehave

by alleyehave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 am

FortMental wrote:...climb up the stairs to the upper level. Cool down in a massage chair at brookstone...

WHAT? The malls around here have escalators buddy...i'm not doing all that.

hamik

by hamik » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 am

I can hear the sand falling between your legs all the way in LA. ;-)

Return to California