Snowshoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
drpw

Re: Snowshoes

by drpw » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:58 pm

MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.

Descending with any snowshoes is pretty easy providing the crampons on them are good enough. Facing out from the slope you just walk down. Easy.

If you know how to ski, I would entertain the idea of skiing/skinning, so much faster and easier and will kill it on the way down.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

^^^Agreed

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

^^^Agreed again

drpw

by drpw » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:29 pm

The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.ph ... ctid=70727

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Be careful if you are walking in and around rocks that are only partly covered in snow. There are many ways one can twist an ankle doing that.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 pm

drpw wrote:The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

That's a pretty good price. I was just going to say find the Denali Classics for $99 bucks. I've had mine for years and they just look better the more beat up they get. Almost all the snowshoeing I do is up or down and they work well. They are not really the best option for deep flat treks anyways. I'm surprised at how expensive snow shoes are these days.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Different terrain calls for different snow shoes:

- Long and skinny for flat terrain and trails. Long and skinny for speed.
- Wide and round for areas were brush is covered and powder is deep.

- MSR Denali with toe crampon for climbing. The extensions are excellent if you need to carry an overnight pack.

BEST of all: Mountaineering Skis with Skins. Perfect for all of the above. Snowshoes fail when it comes to traversing. Skis are excellent for traversing. If you are going to climb mountains you want to learn to ski.

divnamite

by divnamite » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Chewbacca wrote:Anyone have experience with the Atlas 1230?

I think I have the 1230. They have the round aluminum tubing for the frames, correct? They worked fine for me in the Daks on trails. Didn't use them on rocks though so I don't know how they perform.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 pm

drpw wrote:MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.

Descending with any snowshoes is pretty easy providing the crampons on them are good enough. Facing out from the slope you just walk down. Easy.

If you know how to ski, I would entertain the idea of skiing/skinning, so much faster and easier and will kill it on the way down.

I agree. I have the Denali Ascent EVO's and find that the heel "televator" can really help on the ascent of steep slopes. I found and easy way of working it with hiking poles so that I don't even have to bend down to release them also.

Joe White

by Joe White » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:32 am

Tonka wrote:
drpw wrote:The Denali's are injection molded, they are bomb proof, they're lighter, and they cost half as much. The fangs on the ascents are awesome too, I've gone up extremely hard 45deg snow in them that others opted to switch out to crampons for and felt perfectly secure.

That's a pretty good price. I was just going to say find the Denali Classics for $99 bucks. I've had mine for years and they just look better the more beat up they get. Almost all the snowshoeing I do is up or down and they work well. They are not really the best option for deep flat treks anyways. I'm surprised at how expensive snow shoes are these days.

agreed. The Denali's are all we've ever needed. They're a very good snowshoe....and when mine bust (if ever), I'll buy a new pair.

welle

by welle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 pm

drpw wrote:MSR Denali Ascents. Not the EVO Ascents, just the regular ones. The EVO's are flimsier and have a wierd folding problem and they are also narrower and can't take 8" tails. The climbing bar is a lifesaver though.

Not sure, but I think the regular ones are flimsier. Denali EVOs are bombproof and also take tails... Plus they have tapered design. I think you are confusing with MSR EVOs that looks like have replaced classic Denalis.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 pm

welle wrote:

Not sure, but I think the regular ones are flimsier. Denali EVOs are bombproof and also take tails... Plus they have tapered design. I think you are confusing with MSR EVOs that looks like have replaced classic Denalis.

Now I'm not sure which model I Have. I know that they will take the tail extension, and have the heel elevator bar.

Kai

by Kai » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm

The Yowie snowshoe is ideal for your purposes:

http://www.yowies.com.au/

Lighter than most of the other options mentioned above.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Grampahawk wrote:
welle wrote:

Now I'm not sure which model I Have. I know that they will take the tail extension, and have the heel elevator bar.

MSR Denali Evos and the MSR Denali Evo Ascents are the same shoes except the colors are different and the Ascents have the Ascent bars you can flip up. The tails are pretty much useless except in ultra puffy snow. The way they are designed is they extend the back of the shoe. This means your weight distribution is not even, putting more weight in the front half than where it should be in the middle. If you have a heavy pack you will end up walking with your front half slightly dipping into the snow on a angle. Its a nice option, and I own the 4 in. tails, but I have yet to use them and think they are more of a pain than a benefit even in ultra fluffy snow.

IMHO and from what others have said and used, the MSR Denali Evo Ascents are the most durable, they may weigh a little more than most shoes, but they are bombproof.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:55 am

The tails work great in deep snow & the heel lifters are awesome. MSR are the best.

Next

Return to Gear