Anyone else doing the Tough Mudder race?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
deungsan

Anyone else doing the Tough Mudder race?

by deungsan » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 am

I just signed up for the Tough Mudder race at the end of May...

10+ miles long, starting at 6,800 feet and topping out at 7,800 feet with lots of water, mud and crazy obstacles in between.

Map here: http://toughmudder.com/events/socal/sno ... -map-2011/

Is anyone else on SP going? Anyone done it?

Are there any advantages a mountaineer can look forward to? I'm thinking experience at altitude, being used to the cold and being able to go for miles with wet feet. Wondering about (hoping for) other advantages...

Related question: How can a person do 15-20 miles in one day on a peak like Whitney, Shasta or Izta (including hiking, cramponing, snowshoeing and plunge- stepping) with no problem, then run 5 miles on the road and experience killer knee pain for a week?

Thanks for listening.

The following user would like to thank deungsan for this post
BigMitch

norco17

Re: Anyone else doing the Tough Mudder race?

by norco17 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:38 am

Looks like a fun race to bad I have to work that weekend.

Running and hiking are two different things. Impact is much higher when running and asphalt/concrete does not help. Also do you have new/old shoes. These could also be the problem.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Thu May 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks for the post. This looks like great fun!

bkva

by bkva » Sun May 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I've been considering the Tough Mudder as well. I'm doing the Warrior Dash in a week, which is a 3 mile version of the Tough Mudder. If all goes well with the Dash, then I'll do the Tough Mudder in the fall.

rockymtnclimber

by rockymtnclimber » Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Running in running shoes will do that. Yes, I'm one of those "freaks" who does the barefoot/minimalist running thing. But seriously, after dealing with tendonitis in knees, ankles, IT Band, etc, I'm running regularly with zero joint pain. It is an impact thing, because running barefoot makes you land on your toes, and makes your muscles absorb the impact instead of your joints. I was shocked, but it works!

Tough Mudder sounds like a blast! I've got some friends doing it, but I won't be in until next year. Good luck!

deungsan

by deungsan » Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks for all the replies.

With the cool weather we've been having, those water obstacles are sure to be wicked.

Planning to spend two nights prior at 6,000 feet to acclimatize.

Wool sock to prevent blisters when shoes are wet.

Polypro or other high-tech climbing clothes--no cotton!

New running shoes helped a lot with the knee discomfort.

I'll report in afterward--if I survive.

norco17

by norco17 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Glad to hear the new shoes helpef good luck with your race.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Getting used to being cold, wet, and miserable for a long time is useful in developing mental toughness.

When you approach a race like the Tough Mudder, I suggest you think like an adventure racer.

Use adventure racing shoes because they dry much faster than trail running shoes and use wool socks if you are only going for a couple hours. You should be able to do ten miles of obstacles in under 4 hours, max.

When I saw the 24 hour Tough Mudder Finale, I asked myself how would I dress for that event, when the temps in NJ in late Dec might be in the 30-40s. This is not unlike an adventure race under such conditions, except perhaps more swimming through cold water.

I would wear AR shoes and coat my feet with anti-perspirant and use 3-4 pairs of Sealskin Water Blocker socks; switching liners and new socks every 6-8 hours.

For my torso, I would wear polypro under my Rail Riders Eco-Mesh top and bottom. Rail Riders clothes are bombproof clothing typically worn in an adventure race.

Also, I would pack in case it was really cold and I needed it later in the race, a farmer-john style, 2 or 3 mm neoprene shortie wetsuit (think canyoneering).

To keep my hands warm, I would wear 3 mm neoprene kayak gloves.

Regarding your second question, as Norco17 said, running and hiking are two different things that use different muscles.

In my experience, hiking, even with a 60 lb pack on asphalt, does not pound the body like running on asphalt.

Although I have been an ultrarunner for 25 years, I caution against running barefoot at a Tough Mudder-type event, based upon my own experience.

Last fall, I ran a Mud Run with 20-year old hiking boots. We were in the competition division, which required boots not shoes, and I was too cheap to buy new combat boots for a one-time affair.

After about a mile, to my great relief, the sole of my right boot fell off and I was running with the leather bootie wrapped around my Sealskinz Water Blocker Sock. After about another mile, the right leather bootie disintegrated and I was left running in my Sealskinz sock.

At that time, I experienced the great joys of running dowhill nearly barefoot on very rocky, muddy, and steep trails. It was great fun each time my heel slammed into the rocks on the downhills. I was lucky that I did not break my heel bone. Futher, it was nearly impossible to run steep downhills on your toes under such wet conditions.

Don't get me wrong, barefoot running has it's place on a golf course or a perfectly manicured and soft trail, but not down a steep rocky slick trail.

Please let us know how the Tough Mudder goes. It appears that these type of events are all the rage. They must appeal to the large Crossfit population.

Return to Technique and Training