newbie question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
j4ever

newbie question

by j4ever » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:45 pm

If i wear a size 10 tennis shoe,should i get a 10.5 in mountaineer boot to account for sock size?

albanberg

Re: newbie question

by albanberg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 pm

I find it best to try on a lot of boots. Also try going to REI (become a member) gear sales. You can get slightly used boots for cheap and try them out. Try different brands and configurations etc. Try on the boots with the socks that you will use.

The following user would like to thank albanberg for this post
j4ever

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Many mountaineering boots use the Euro measurement system which doesn't correlate perfectly with the US system. On top of that, different manufacturers use different lasts so some manufacturers fit wide feet better and some fit narrow feet better.

albanberg's advice is good, however, if you don't have a good shop nearby you can try Zappos which has free shipping both ways so you can order a bunch of boots and try them on in the comfort of your home and send back what you don't want.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
j4ever

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 am

thanks fellows,i am trying to find a boot that can be multiple,a little rock climbing at Mt Erie ( mid fifth rock im told ),then a 4-5 mile hike into Mt Baker and spend a couple days on Baker with a summit. Trying to keep pack limited to about 40 pounds and no more than 45, so do not want to have to pack an extra pair of boots, as i have not done this in long time and also dealing with an old injury so im sure a 40-45 pound pack will give me all the challenge i want at this time. I was thinking about the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or Scarpa Esacape GTX. It would be best to try on multiple pair but might have to do that thru mail order as suggested.

albanberg

by albanberg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm

You might want to have 2 or 3 different pair of socks with you of different weight/thickness to get the right fit while on your trip. Trying them on in a store or at home is one thing but wearing them on a trip is another.

The following user would like to thank albanberg for this post
j4ever

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:03 pm

j4ever wrote: I was thinking about the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or Scarpa Esacape GTX.

I would suggest the Scarpa Charmoz rather than the Escape, it is a lighter boot. Both the Trango S EVO GTX and the Scarpa Charmoz are going to be great boots for the use you describe, however, if you decide to do Rainier or winter climbs in the future you will probably want a warmer boot. I have friend who routinely sport climbs in his La Sportiva Trangos and climbs some fairly thin, technical routes in good style with them.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
j4ever

bird

by bird » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:55 pm

j4ever wrote:thanks fellows,i am trying to find a boot that can be multiple,a little rock climbing at Mt Erie ( mid fifth rock im told ),then a 4-5 mile hike into Mt Baker and spend a couple days on Baker with a summit. Trying to keep pack limited to about 40 pounds and no more than 45, so do not want to have to pack an extra pair of boots, as i have not done this in long time and also dealing with an old injury so im sure a 40-45 pound pack will give me all the challenge i want at this time. I was thinking about the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or Scarpa Esacape GTX. It would be best to try on multiple pair but might have to do that thru mail order as suggested.

You'll want rock shoes for Mt Erie, not boots.
Something like this could work... http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... e-twilight , but it's really just going to suck at both.
So a pair of rock shoes and the trangos to start sounds like a plan, then if you move up in mountains and climbing, you will know more about the next type of boot to buy.

The following user would like to thank bird for this post
j4ever

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

j4ever wrote:thanks fellows,i am trying to find a boot that can be multiple,a little rock climbing at Mt Erie ( mid fifth rock im told ),then a 4-5 mile hike into Mt Baker and spend a couple days on Baker with a summit. Trying to keep pack limited to about 40 pounds and no more than 45, so do not want to have to pack an extra pair of boots, as i have not done this in long time and also dealing with an old injury so im sure a 40-45 pound pack will give me all the challenge i want at this time. I was thinking about the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX or Scarpa Esacape GTX. It would be best to try on multiple pair but might have to do that thru mail order as suggested.

You'll definitely want to take your time at REI or wherever and try on different boots. If you want a good mountaineering boot that isn't too stiff, I use this one:

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=1&Type=M

A premium is paid for the Gortex, so if not expecting slushy conditions, you might consider one without it. Regardless of choice, every boot has a unique cut; sizing is only half the equation. It has to be comfortable on your feet. I'm into mountaineering, I'm not a rock climber, so I can't help much with that aspect.

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
j4ever

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm

j4ever wrote:If i wear a size 10 tennis shoe,should i get a 10.5 in mountaineer boot to account for sock size?

In general, for myself, I would say yes. However, in my case, my typical use of the boots is for winter hiking, ice climbing and mountaineering, with temps often down to 0F or colder, so a fairly thick sock (or two) is a must. Your situation might be different, however, if you only intend to use the boots for summer mountaineering. In general, even if you're a newbie, I would try to approach gear purchases with a slightly more long-term attitude than simply one trip. Think about what your interests/objectives for the next couple of years are, and try to find a boot that will best suit them. And yes, if technical rock climbing is one of them, you will need to buy climbing shoes as well, so might as well do it now. For mid-fifth class climbing at low elevations as part of a multi-day excursion, I would consider just bringing the climbing shoes along - they are not all that heavy, and you'll be glad you brought them...plus if you're doing the climbing before your Baker ascent, you can always stash them and get them on the way back...

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
j4ever

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 am

thanks alot for the advice fellows, looks like i will have to order multiple boots and sizes from rei or zappos, the rei stores in my area do not seem to carry mountaineer boots.

bird

by bird » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm

j4ever wrote:I was thinking about the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX

BTW, this is a good choice for a first boot. It will let you dabble in a lot of things before you decide on your next adventures and footwear needed. And you'll still use this for many many things...

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:25 pm

+1 for the Trangos. If I could make a suggestion for the other part of the equation - the climbing shoes - La Sportiva Mythos are really nice all-purpose shoes. They're leather so will stretch a lot with use and mold to your foot shape, but once they do they are super comfortable for all-day climbs. I also wear US size 10 running shoes and a size 40.5 Mythos (US 8?), when stretched out, is perfect for me. I wear a size 43.5 Trango, FWIW, but as you know and others have said, trying on the boot to ensure it fits right is critical.

Return to Gear