Great Range direction of travel?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Autoxfil

Great Range direction of travel?

by Autoxfil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm

All the guides and most TRs (and people I meet up there) seem to go towards Marcy (SW) as they cover peaks on the range. Why? I've only done it the other way (slant rock to UWJ), and found the hiking much better.

Going up Gothics and Saddleback 3rd class is awesome. Going down sucks. Plus, you typically end up with a long walk back to camp down the valley if you go the other way - I'd rather hike the valley first, and have the alpine exposure to keep me motivated later in the day.

Is there something I'm missing?

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Most people just like to get the hard part over with early, before they're tired. I'm one of them, I'd rather be tired and stumbling on an easy descending trail in the dark than stumbling down the Wolf Jaws.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Having just come back from there and doing it in the order that Autoxil prefers, I would say I agree with him...I don't think the Saddleback section would be very pleasant going down, especially with a heavy pack (which I had). On the other hand, we only ended up stumbling over one of the Wolf Jaws (upper) :)

Autoxfil

Re: Great Range direction of travel?

by Autoxfil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Any more comments? I'm doing the traverse in a day next weekend, and thinking of this debate again.

I'm leaning towards my original assessment, although I see the physical advantages of saving that gentle downhill run from Slant Rock for the end of a long day. Hitting bigger peaks and views throughout the day is nice too...

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Another vote for Marcy--->UWJ (which is how we did it a couple years back).

Coming down the SW flank of Saddleback would, indeed, suck...especially with a heavy pack.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm

We did Garden->Marcy->Haystack->Great Range->Roostercomb trailhead. 13.5 hours, not counting the walk back up to the Garden.

It was the better way, I think. Coming down off Lower Wolf Jaw was rough for a little bit, but most of the Hedgehog->rt 73 leg was really awesome smooth trails.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)