Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Finding parent objects with accents in names

Collaborate with other users to plan SPs structure. Talk about the linking of parents, children, and related pages.

Finding parent objects with accents in names

Postby visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 am

Just wondered why we cannot find Hochkönig when we want for example to attach an album or a route that refers to it. We can type Hochkonig without the ö, same. I suspect hundreds of pages to be orphanes on SP just for this reason. As far as I know there is only the french é & è that do not cause this bug. Is there any way to fix it ?
visentin

Re: Finding parent objects with accents in names

Postby visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Indeed what you stated exactly isn't working, excepted if the guy entered a name without accents in the query field, which people rarely mind to do
visentin

Postby guhj » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:57 pm

In swedish, ö is a separate letter. It is not an o with something added to it. I'm not sure if that's the case in german, but I would expect to find Hochkönig if I type exactly that into the search box. Typing Hochkonig shouldn't find it, though I can see the convenience in that for people who don't have ö on their keyboards.

It is strange that both Hochkönig and Hochkonig yields 0 results. I have to search for Hochk* to find Hochkönig.
guhj

Postby visentin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 pm

I didn't know about the trick with a star. Who did ? Anyway, and despite ö isn't o in Swedish (in Polish ł and l aren't the same too), making the search work with non diacritic letters would be cool. There could be a function that encodes a string with its non-accented equivalent, which could be used everywhere in the code each time there is a search.
However, I'm tempted to say it "should" work even without that, I mean enabling people to find Hochkönig spelled as it is.
visentin

Postby peterbud » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 pm

visentin wrote:Indeed what you stated exactly isn't working, excepted if the guy entered a name without accents in the query field, which people rarely mind to do

I do :-) and encourage everyone who enters spec chars in page titles to do so. A little extra effort but keeps things working.
peterbud

Postby visentin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:35 am

Query name, Peter, not Name. Of course accents must be in the name as much as keyboard allows. But for search purposes the non accented name is a plus (as long as there is the search bug on accented names)
visentin

Postby peterbud » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:23 pm

That is exactly what I meant (adding the "pure" accentless versions in the query name, besides the accented versions).

visentin wrote:Query name, Peter, not Name. Of course accents must be in the name as much as keyboard allows. But for search purposes the non accented name is a plus (as long as there is the search bug on accented names)
peterbud

Return to Taxonomy Planning