Absaroka Mountains topo map?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Morlow

Absaroka Mountains topo map?

by Morlow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 am

I've been looking for an Absaroka Mountains map and haven't been able to locate any. I figured Beartooth Publishing would have made one by now but I guess not. I am specifically looking for a map that covers Dead Indian Peak / Sunlight Peak and the surrounding area. Is there any option other than the USGS maps?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Absaroka Mountains topo map?

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Short of using mapping software and printing maps out, you don't have a lot of options. It's a vast range, and I don't know of any comprehensive topo maps out there.

When I did some backpacking in the Beartooths in 2000, I found some topos with 80-foot contours by Rocky Mountain Surveys, copyrighted by a Ralph Saunders and published in Billings by Artcraft Printers. Basically, they took two USGS quads and put them together on one map smaller than a single quad. I have no idea if they're still making those or if they made them for the Absarokas.

Personally, I use the USGS quads because even though they can be unwieldy and a pain to piece together for a trip, I love the size and the detail. They're what I used when I climbed Dead Indian. If you use them, just be aware that they don't show the trail along Gravelbar Creek. The Dead Indian page I put up here, and I'm not trying to applaud myself, seems to be about the only detailed online resource for route information on Dead Indian out there, and it's more accurate than the Turiano guide.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Morlow

by Morlow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Yeah I was just reading your TR yesterday and it reminded me that I want to attempt Dead Indian this coming summer and I still don't have any maps on the area. Browsing the USGS website, it looks like the two maps I will need are "Dead Indian Peak" and "Elkhorn Peak". Are those the ones you used?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Morlow wrote:Yeah I was just reading your TR yesterday and it reminded me that I want to attempt Dead Indian this coming summer and I still don't have any maps on the area. Browsing the USGS website, it looks like the two maps I will need are "Dead Indian Peak" and "Elkhorn Peak". Are those the ones you used?

They are. Both are very good for the topography even though they don't show the trail.

If you do it, there's a good chance Sunlight Creek will be too high to cross either by foot or vehicle. Check out the mountain page for details about working around that. Unfortunately, not crossing can add up to 3 miles to the trip.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Morlow

by Morlow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Ok thanks a lot. Did you happen to take any shots of Sunlight Creek when you were there?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm

I didn't take any pictures either year. Sorry. SP member musicman82 might have some, but I don't think so.

rockthrowjoe

by rockthrowjoe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

If you have an IPhone you can get the TopoMaps App http://topomapsapp.com/ for $7.99, and download both of those quads and any other quads you want in the area at high resolution for free. Also you can put waypoints along the way. Unfortunately, no support for routes/tracks yet. :( It works off the GPS in your IPhone even outside of cell range, and if you use it sparingly a charge will last you a 2-3 days (make sure you remember to turn the gps locator button off each time when you're done). Also you could get a solar charger for your IPhone if you will be out for more than several days.

I love this app and have used it for multiple climbs in CO and can't recommend it highly enough.

Morlow

by Morlow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 pm

That sounds awesome but unfortunately I don't have an IPhone.

musicman82

by musicman82 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm

I've never been down to the end of the Sunlight Road - Gravelbar Creek is as far as I've gone, so I don't have pictures. I'm definitely planning on attempting Dead Indian this summer (third time's the charm, hopefully), so if you want some company, send me a PM or an email!

Morlow

by Morlow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Sweet. We'll see how the snow plays out this year. I'll be working in Yellowstone April-November so I plan to be all over the mountains all summer. I will be looking for partners, since I don't currently have any, once I get my work schedule for the summer.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)