Highest Elevation Wifi Source Near Whitney

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Dave Nelson

Highest Elevation Wifi Source Near Whitney

by Dave Nelson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:30 am

Hi All! First time poster on here - very exciting :D

Anyway, I'm planning to summit Whitney next month on a Saturday, and am hoping to spend Thursday night and Friday night somewhere at a high enough elevation to not have to worry about acclimating come Saturday. The only catch? I need to be able to get on WiFi for work on that Friday. Does anyone know, with absolute certainty, of a place to stay that either (a) has WiFi or (b) is close to a place with WiFi?

Thanks!

- Dave

nicozone

Re: Highest Elevation Wifi Source Near Whitney

by nicozone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 pm

The Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center in Lone Pine has WiFi for visitors. The password information is offered on cards inside at the counter. Not sure if it is offered 24/7 or just during their operational hours.

Most hotels offer some form of internet/WiFi connections. The ones that do will advertise that information on any of the regular booking sites.

RickF

by RickF » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Dave, regarding high enough elevation to not have to worry about acclimating, Lone Pine where the Visitor Center, motels and restuarants, i.e. places you might find WiFi is at about 4,000 ft. You might be able to camp at Whitney Portal (8,400') or Cottonwood Meadows (10,000'). That plan would require driving down to Lone Pine on Friday. Approx 30 minutes from Whitney Portal or about 45 minutes from Cottonwood Meadows. So in other words, you probably won't find one location that serves both needs but you could accomplish both objectives with a little bit of drive time.

The following user would like to thank RickF for this post
Dave Nelson

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Maybe use your cell phone + tethering? You can probably get a good signal at Walt's Point, below Horseshoe Meadows.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 am

YGBSM

No, let me rephrase.

YGBFSM

MTN Trader

by MTN Trader » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am

You might want to try Rock Creek Lodge. I believe they have somewhat reliable connectivity in their lodge hall. It's not exactly near Lone Pine though, being partway between Bishop and Mammoth, uphill from Toms Place. However, they are in the mid 9000 feet elevation range, very friendly, and close to Mosquito Flat, in case you want to get in any "climb high sleep low" acclimation action.

The following user would like to thank MTN Trader for this post
Dave Nelson

no avatar
Dave Nelson

by Dave Nelson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks all. This confirms what I suspected I'd end up having to do. I was hoping to stay up high all day on Friday, but looks like I'll definitely have to go to Lone Pine then.

I'm probably going to just stay at Whitney Portal or Horseshoe Meadows and make the drive in to Lone Pine to get my work done.

Not too happy about it, would rather be able to just hike and relax that day. Kind of a bummer, but oh well!

Thanks again! Can't wait to tackle Whitney!

Return to California