LA SPORTIVE BARUNTSE AND SOLE ORTHOTICS

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
climbhigh

LA SPORTIVE BARUNTSE AND SOLE ORTHOTICS

by climbhigh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 pm

I normally wear a 13 in most footwear, except I am a 12 in merrel barefoots. I just received a Bruntse in size 47 and use blue SOLE orthotics exslusively. I am wondering how many people wear high quality orthotics with double boots. Two pair of mid-weight wool socks with blue SOLEs under the boot liners seems to feel pretty good, although it is a little snug. I think the 47.5 might be too big as I took someone's pervious advice and put my foot into the boot with orthotics and socks sans boot liners and there's plenty of room in there with no contact from the shell. Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

Kai

Re: LA SPORTIVE BARUNTSE AND SOLE ORTHOTICS

by Kai » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 am

Can't say about Baruntse, but in my Spantiks, my orthotics don't work well because the footbed of the boot is already somewhat curved a bit, which messed up the fit of the orthotics.

In any boot where I can heat mold the liner, I've found only minimal value from an orthotic.

Norris

by Norris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 am

You can't judge the fit of Baruntse based on the way the liners fit out-of-the-box especially if you are wearing multiple socks and inserting orthotics. The inner boots are designed to be heat molded to get a custom fit. A competent boot fitter can do this for you. If the liners are oven heated and fitted to your feet with the orthotics in them, and toe caps on to give you wiggle room, the fit will improve.

no avatar
climbhigh

by climbhigh » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 am

I think I'm going to exchange the 47 for a pair of 47.5. Someone at sportiva told me I should try them on with the orthotics touching my socks inside the boot liner, while wearing one thin liner sock and one thick sock. I did this and the boots felt way too tight with some pressure on the tips of my toes while front-kicking the boots. I think the 47.5 will probably be the one but we will see when I make the exchange. I have thought about not wearing orthotics but the blue SOLEs are so money that I pretty much have to wear them with anything other than sandals or barefoot shoes. If using orthotics while wearing a double boot, is it customary to wear the orthotic inside or outside of the boot liner?

Thanks

Norris

by Norris » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:02 am

Inside the inner boot in my experience. Keep in mind that feet tend to swell at altitude also, so if things feel snug at home, the boots are probably too small. I wear size 13 in street shoes but 48 in the Baruntse. Before heat molding the inners, there was no conceivable way I could wear green superfeet insoles in the boots, or even two socks. The first time I wore the boots I had to wear only thin liner socks in the inners, no insoles. After heat treating I could wear a thick sock and get insoles in the boots. But at higher altitude with the boots I found I had to leave the insoles out to avoid having too tight a fit. The volume of your foot typically increases at higher altitudes.

Return to Gear