Please suggest an appropriate next mountain!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
LesterLong

Please suggest an appropriate next mountain!

by LesterLong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Good morning everyone,

It's been rather quiet lately! I've so enjoyed the mountain climbing I've done, and am excited about continuing. SummitPost has helped me in choosing and planning each climb. Thank you!

I'd love to get some of your thoughts about the next mountains I should attempt. Thus far I have climbed:

Mt. Washington
Mt. Mitchell
Mt. Elbert
Mt. Baker (did not summit)
Ben Nevis
Katahdin
Humphreys Peak
Mt. Mansfield
Mt. Marcy

I'm a 44 year old male, in decent shape, living in NYC.
Last edited by LesterLong on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Please suggestion an appropriate next mountain!

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 pm

I thought Mt Shasta was mighty nice.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
96avs01, LesterLong

JonW

by JonW » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm very fond of the Teton Range. Not sure what your skill set is, but there are many technical and non-technical options.

The following user would like to thank JonW for this post
LesterLong

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 pm

The "Suggested Mountains" page linked to your profile has Black Mesa at the top of the list. While it is nice, I'm guessing you are looking for something a little more challenging. I find that page for myself and others to be very interesting, though. You might browse it.

The following user would like to thank jdzaharia for this post
LesterLong

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm

JonW wrote:I'm very fond of the Teton Range. Not sure what your skill set is, but there are many technical and non-technical options.

Ohh, the Tetons! You gotta go to the Tetons!

LesterLong

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:30 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:
JonW wrote:I'm very fond of the Teton Range. Not sure what your skill set is, but there are many technical and non-technical options.

Yup. Another vote for the Tetons.

The following user would like to thank mconnell for this post
LesterLong

Marmaduke

Re: Please suggest an appropriate next mountain!

by Marmaduke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I vote The Kananaskis and The Canadian Rockies. Stay in Canmore, Banff and the area is outstanding.

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
LesterLong

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for everyone suggestions. I'll research Mt. Shasta and the Tetons (both of which I always consider 'elite'). The Canadian Rockies sounds quite a bit above my pay scale, from my 60 seconds of research.

LesterLong

by LesterLong » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:09 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:

Your username is appropriate. :shock:

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:35 pm

LesterLong wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:

Your username is appropriate. :shock:

Thanks, I thought so! Every American climber HAS to visit the Tetons at least once. So much history, so much good climbing, so beautiful, very accessible, (I call it Alpine Lite). Stay at the Climber's Ranch, best deal in the park.

LesterLong

seano

by seano » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 pm

LesterLong wrote:Thanks for everyone suggestions. I'll research Mt. Shasta and the Tetons (both of which I always consider 'elite'). The Canadian Rockies sounds quite a bit above my pay scale, from my 60 seconds of research.

If you did Baker, even if you didn't summit, I can't imagine Shasta causing problems -- the standard route is a fairly straightforward snow-walk, provided you know how to self-arrest. The Tetons, though spectacular and accessible, are generally more technically demanding in terms of both rock and steeper snow. Buck, the South Teton, and Moran can be straightforward snow climbs, but a slide could be much worse news than on Shasta.

Based on what you've done, I'd suggest visiting the Eastern Sierra. I'd try Agassiz first -- great views, mostly class 2, not too long. Then, based on how that goes, you can either go harder (e.g. Middle Palisade, Russell) or easier (e.g. Langley, Whitney).

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
LesterLong

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:19 pm

seano wrote:
LesterLong wrote:Thanks for everyone suggestions. I'll research Mt. Shasta and the Tetons (both of which I always consider 'elite'). The Canadian Rockies sounds quite a bit above my pay scale, from my 60 seconds of research.

If you did Baker, even if you didn't summit, I can't imagine Shasta causing problems -- the standard route is a fairly straightforward snow-walk, provided you know how to self-arrest. The Tetons, though spectacular and accessible, are generally more technically demanding in terms of both rock and steeper snow. Buck, the South Teton, and Moran can be straightforward snow climbs, but a slide could be much worse news than on Shasta.

I agree with seano. I climbed the Casaval Ridge on Shasta, which is supposedly a slightly more difficult route, and found it was easier than the easiest route on Mt Baker. I've only climbed technical routes in the Tetons, but there are some non technical snow and scramble routes that would be pretty incredible experiences. Middle Teton and Teewinot come to mind.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 pm

The Teton Range page here on SP has mountains grouped by the difficulty of their standard routes as follows: technical (Class 5), scrambles (Class 2+-4), and hikes (Class 1 and 2). It could help you tailor your goals according to your tastes and experience.

http://www.summitpost.org/teton-range/171178
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:38 am

I had hoped to be first to suggest the eastern Sierra but seano beat me to it. The great thing about the Sierra as a climbing destination is that the ratio of climbing quality to climbing obstacles is relatively high compared to many other areas. The rock is generally very good, the setting beautiful and dramatic, the weather is generally benign and fairly predictable, there's lots of information available on routes and current conditions, trip logistics are easy, and physical access to climbing areas is good (though dealing with permits and other people is another matter...). You could easily plan several excellent climbs for a single trip and as long as they are within your skill and comfort level you can be relatively confident you will be successful on many of them. The downside of the Sierra is its popularity and proximity to civilization. Also, since glaciers are small in the Sierra there is no need to have mastered glacier travel/crevasse rescue skills to climb there, which is a plus or a minus depending on whether or not you want practice for more glaciated locations.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu May 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Why hasn't anyone suggested Mount Sunflower?

http://www.kansastravel.org/mountsunflower.htm

Next

Return to General