Summer/Walkers Haute Route in 7 days?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
marving

Summer/Walkers Haute Route in 7 days?

by marving » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:27 pm

I was just wondering if it would be possible to do the hikers/walkers haute route in 7 days, instead of the two weeks most people seem to take by hiring a guide for two days out of Arolla:

1: Le Tour to Cabane du Trient
2: to Cabane Mont Fort
3: to Cabane de Prafleuri
4: to Arolla
5: to Cabane de Bertol
6: to Schönbielhütte (with guide)
7: to Zermatt (with guide)

Would this be a good itinerary or would we be missing any highlights of the more standard route? I'll have a better time convincing people to join if it's a one week trip :)
From what I understand from Bertol to Zermatt via Schonbiel is straightforward glacier travel, easy terrain?
And is there anyway to traverse the Grand Combin area in similar fashion, without having to do any "climbing"?

Thanks!

no avatar
marving

Re: Summer/Walkers Haute Route in 7 days?

by marving » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Whoops day 1 should read: Trient to Champex via Fenetre D'Arpette, looks like we'd need a guide to get to Cabane du Trient from Le Tour/Refuge Albert 1er. There's no way to get to Cabane du Trient from Trient or Fenetre D'Arpette right?

And would it be better on day 3 to stay at Prafleuri or continue on to Cabane des Dix instead? Prafleuri looks like it's in a quarry, Cabane des Dix looks like it's in a much more scenic location?

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 am

marving wrote:From what I understand from Bertol to Zermatt via Schonbiel is straightforward glacier travel, easy terrain?

Easy terrain yes, but it is crevassed. Roped up with a guide, no problem. Ascent to (Berton hut) and descent from (Stockij) the glacier plateau include somewhat steeper passages, but doable.
Schönbiel (sic!) is an extremly nice place.

And is there anyway to traverse the Grand Combin area in similar fashion, without having to do any "climbing"?

There is a "Tour des Combins", but it takes a looong detour around Grand Combin :mrgreen:
The logical line would be across Col du Sonadon but again this requires a guide or someone experienced (not technically difficult, but very alpine terrain with glacier travel, crevasse zigzagging, difficult orientation, airy scambling etc.).
Traversing Grand Combin itself requires climbing, esp. if you want to traverse to Chanrion hut.

marving wrote:And would it be better on day 3 to stay at Prafleuri or continue on to Cabane des Dix instead? Prafleuri looks like it's in a quarry, Cabane des Dix looks like it's in a much more scenic location?

It depends...
Prafleuri as the name indicates (pra-meadow, fleurie-floral) is still in the alpine meadow region, quite a lovely spot. Small cirque, so limited views.
Dix is situated between glaciers and moraine rubbish. Alpine views to the neighbouring ice peaks.
From Mont Fort to Dix is a very long day, I suppose around nine hours walking!

no avatar
marving

by marving » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Flachlandtiroler wrote:
marving wrote:From what I understand from Bertol to Zermatt via Schonbiel is straightforward glacier travel, easy terrain?

Easy terrain yes, but it is crevassed. Roped up with a guide, no problem. Ascent to (Berton hut) and descent from (Stockij) the glacier plateau include somewhat steeper passages, but doable.
Schönbiel (sic!) is an extremly nice place.

There is a "Tour des Combins", but it takes a looong detour around Grand Combin :mrgreen:
The logical line would be across Col du Sonadon but again this requires a guide or someone experienced (not technically difficult, but very alpine terrain with glacier travel, crevasse zigzagging, difficult orientation, airy scambling etc.).
Traversing Grand Combin itself requires climbing, esp. if you want to traverse to Chanrion hut.

marving wrote:And would it be better on day 3 to stay at Prafleuri or continue on to Cabane des Dix instead? Prafleuri looks like it's in a quarry, Cabane des Dix looks like it's in a much more scenic location?

It depends...
Prafleuri as the name indicates (pra-meadow, fleurie-floral) is still in the alpine meadow region, quite a lovely spot. Small cirque, so limited views.
Dix is situated between glaciers and moraine rubbish. Alpine views to the neighbouring ice peaks.
From Mont Fort to Dix is a very long day, I suppose around nine hours walking!

Ah ok thanks, not sure it would be worth the complication of traversing the Grand Combin area. I was under the impression Prafleuri was in a dreary quarry from descriptions I've read but I guess I misunderstood. I find it interesting that everyone take the round about way to Zermatt from Arolla, it adds a lot of days to the trek and stays relatively low altitude compared to the previous stage... i did the math and it's actually cheaper to hire a guide for two days if we're a group of 4 than it is to pay for 5 extra nights of lodging and food.

Return to Europe