Rosy Finch Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tbaranski

Rosy Finch Peak

by tbaranski » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Hello,

Thinking of traversing to Rosy Finch Peak from Pyramid Peak in a few weeks. Anyone done this? I see it's rated as class-3, but am wondering how solid the rock is, exposure, etc.

Plan is to then descend SE to Finch Lake. How is it getting back to Morgan's Pass from there? As easy as it looks on the topo maps?

fatdad

Re: Rosy Finch Peak

by fatdad » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 pm

My recollection of Rosy Finch is it that it looked really loose. Pyramid is chill, with great views o BCS, but the appearance of Rosy Finch always kept me away. If you want a nice traverse in that area, look at the Little Lakes Peak-Mt. Morgan traverse.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 am

Rosy Finch is indeed a time bomb. I climbed it a few years ago from the northern ridge, damn near lost my life on a coffee table size boulder that started sliding off the ridge. I stayed mainly on the west side which produced Class 4 and 5. Stay on the eastern side of ridge for "easier" terrain that looks Class 3, at least. Not sure of the traverse from Pyramid though...that's another loose mess.
The traverse from LLP to Morgan is stellar! Staying on ridge proper makes it Class 4 and fun fun fun.

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks folks. The LLP->Morgan traverse is on the list too. Trying to fill my 5-day stay.

Sounds like Rosy Finch is out. No interest in the loose stuff.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Are you staying in just the Little Lakes Valley or roaming a bit. Red and White Mt. is a nice class 3. Really spectacular geology hiking into that. Also, although a lot of guides mention the LLP-Morgan traverse as class 4, I didn't really find anything more than class 3. A couple of short exposed sections, but overall pretty mellow, and I'm a wuss these days.

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 pm

I'll be moving around in between Mammoth and Bishop. Are you referring to the NE Ridge of R&W? The SP description makes it sound loose. What was your experience?

Return to California