San Jacinto 'Easy Route' Q

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Tom Kenney

San Jacinto 'Easy Route' Q

by Tom Kenney » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:06 am

I'm thinking of doing San Jacinto from the tram next week. The topo map shows that the trail goes through Round Valley, but it would seem that Tamarack Valley would be a shorter route. Is there a trail in Tamarack Valley? If not, is it easy XC travel? And in either event, is it shorter? (NOTE: I'm a very experienced XC person, but am bringing my SO with mostly on-trail hiking experience).

Thanks much for any help you can provide!

spapagiannis

Re: San Jacinto 'Easy Route' Q

by spapagiannis » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:07 am

As I recall, there is an XC route through there. There might even be a reference or two on SP about it if you dig around the San J page(s). I guess it really matters what you define as 'short' or 'easy' though. Up in that entire plateau it's all pretty gentle - especially compared to the Skyline/C2C approach just to get to Round Valley. Starting fresh from the tram, the Round Valley way wouldn't be too bad, and rather scenic. Approximately 2,500 ft elevation gain over 5 miles to the summit, 10 miles RT. No more challenging than Mt Wilson IMHO, reaction to altitude may vary though. As I recall Tamarack Valley was densely wooded except for a small meadow - observations from a distance on the main trail though.

Unfortunately not direct help, but hopefully helpful nonetheless!

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:11 pm

About 5 minutes past the ranger station (be sure to fill out a permit there first) the trail makes a sharp left across the creek. Do not cross, instead look for a trail that goes sharply uphill, just before the creek crossing, on the right (uphill) side. This trail will go to Tamarack. From there there are a couple of choices, there are a few trails to the top. You can cut towards Cornell and take the ridge to Miller then to the top, that's my favorite way, you seldom see anybody. You can also look for the old trail from Tamarack that connects to the regular trail @10,000'.

BE SURE TO FILL OUT A PERMIT, lots of trail cops.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Ah...thanks much! Both answers are quite helpful.

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

You are welcome, and to clarify, my favorite way is from Tamarack, I head up NW direction (easy terrain) to the saddle 9,600- and then west up the ridge to Miller and San Jac (class 1). This cuts off the unnecessary trip to Wellmans divide, and as a bonus you avoid the crowds and get more of a wilderness experience. Also it makes the r-t closer to 7 miles instead of 10 when you follow the regular trail. Of course you can always go down the trail. I have always preferred x-c travel in the woods though.

phydeux

by phydeux » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:06 am

The XC trail from the Longs Creek area to Tamarak, as well as the 'trail' from Tamarak Valley to the peak itself, are both choked full of nasty shrubs. Its a great way to go in the winter when there's lots of snow cover, but I'd stick to the trail in the summer. If you do take the XC route wear some long pants to try and avoid cutting up your legs. And while you are fighting the scrub brush you'll be out in the warm sunshine most of the way up from Tamarak to the peak; not my idea of a fun day. Personally I'd take the Marion Mtn trail if I was just out for a day of peakbagging on Mt. San Jacinto.

FWIW: two summers ago I tried to find the old trail from Tamarak Valley up to the Miller Peak/San J saddle (where the regular hikng trail makes a sharp 180 degree turn) and had no luck. The State Park Service obliterated it about 30 years ago, it was fairly easy to find about 15 years ago, but it looks like its finally overgrown and unrecognizable.

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:23 pm

The key to avoiding the snowbrush and chinquapin is to stay in the woods. Once you see the trees starting to get thin, then yes, it gets a little brushy. I know at least two x-c ways to the top from the tram that have zero brush. The open, east slopes are very brushy, but the heavy forest has very little. Also, if you stay in the trees you also avoid the sun. Finally, in the forest there are some awesome old-growth trees (if you are into that sort of thing), there is one old, big limber pine I have visited many times. Personally, I think the trail sucks, lots of people, I have encountered groups of 30 or more, it is unnecessarily long and tedious, and don't put your permit in the daypack because you will probably have to dig it out more than once. Sometimes you get lucky though,

Return to California