Climbing Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro in succession

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Razmataz

Climbing Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro in succession

by Razmataz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Dear Summitpost posters!

I am a newbie at climbing any mountains above 1000m (only done Ben Nevis and Snowden), however, I do hike quite often and across varying ranges of landscape. Including all the ones found on those two mountains. I have no doubt I can manage either of these mountains, but I was wondering if it is wise to both in quick succession, i.e. one day of rest in between.

I'm planning to start with a six day trek up Mt Kenya, followed by an 8 day Trek up Kilimanjaro. Personally I feel I could handle the exertion of 14 days of climbing up and down. But I thought I'd ask some experienced climbers for their advice all the same. Is there anything I should watch out for? Is it okay to fly the same evening after descending from Mt Kenya and / or Kilimanjaro?

Cheers,

Thomas

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Climbing Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro in succession

by Scott » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Is it okay to fly the same evening after descending from Mt Kenya and / or Kilimanjaro?

Yes, it is fine to fly.

Also, be aware that climbing Mt Kenya involves a technical climb. I assume you mean that you are trekking to Lenana Point. Trekking to Lenana Point is not climbing Mt Kenya.

Is there anything I should watch out for?

Your gear and valuables in Nairobi.

shavrka

Re: Climbing Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro in succession

by shavrka » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:53 am

Greetings everybody.
It's nice and ambitious plan to climb Mt. Kenya but it requires experience and knowledge of climbing techniques and is not recommended for beginners. Perhaps, for a start, it is better to plan something else.
Greetings everybody.

Return to General