San Jacinto conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Diggler

San Jacinto conditions

by Diggler » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:40 am

Howdy,

I'm wondering if there's snow on the upper portions of the mountain. Know that we've been getting some rain over the course of the last couple of weeks in NorCal, but don't know the situation down there. Beta appreciated- thanks!

Fletch

Re: San Jacinto conditions

by Fletch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:12 am

I was in Palm Springs yesterday. Snow in the foothills down to 5,000 feet or so... I bet most of its gone already, but up top, there's probably a few feet...

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Diggler

StartingOver

by StartingOver » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't know the conditions on San Jacinto, but I can report on the view of the SoCal mountains visible from my office in downtown LA. Baldy had a nice coating on Monday this week, down to probably 6-7,000 feet, but it is almost all gone now. Baldy looks, well, bald, from my office. There may be a little snow on the summit, but everything visible from my office on a clear down is now free of snow. I'd guess the conditions on San Jacinto are similar.

We are supposed to get warm weather over the next few days (80s in the San Gabriel Valley), and what little is left snow is is likely to be gone by this weekend. Again, probably some snow up top, but probably whatever is there will be manageable. Lower mountains such as Tahquitz will probably be completely free of snow.

Sorry I can't me more specific, but I hope this helps at least a little bit. I'd suggest calling the ranger station before making an outing, if you plan to go.

The following user would like to thank StartingOver for this post
Diggler

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Diggler

Diggler

by Diggler » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Cool- thanks for the updates! Appreciate it.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 am

Nice day-long flurry today. Stayed cold (low to mid 20s F), so the snow stayed very dry. Got about 2" overnight, then lightly snowed all day. This was on the trail between the Tram and Round Valley today:

The following user would like to thank Tom Kenney for this post
Deb, Fredd C Dobbs, Humphrey, johnr

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Mt San Jacinto hiker lost overnight -- http://mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php? ... 2939497333

Photos of new snow on San Jacinto mountains -- http://mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php? ... f0b149f842

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Snowshoed on Sunday from the Mountain Station to around 9,700' on "the middle trail". Good snow cover top to bottom. The route was pretty packed down with soft surface in the afternoon sun. It was getting icy late afternoon in the shade.

While out, we ran into three SAR teams and saw the Riverside County Sherriff helicopter executing the search. Groups heading into the backcountry were also advised of the missing skier and asked to keep eyes and ears open. A good ending to what could have been tragic.

Return to California