C2C/San Jacinto conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
LoveThisSite

C2C/San Jacinto conditions

by LoveThisSite » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi folks, I'll be visiting Palm Springs this weekend, and was seriously considering the C2C/San Jacinto hike.
I still have a bit of research to do, but wanted to get a quick feel for the state of the trail:

Snow, Ice? Will I need full technical gear - crampons/ice axe, or will microspikes be sufficient?

Will I still be able to get water near the tram station on the way up?

San Jacinto Peak conditions? Will I need flotation? Any avy danger?

Also, what are the temps at the top of the peak generally?

I have done a fair bit of hiking in the Colorado Rockies. I have never climbed any peaks in California, though, so I'm totally unaware of what to expect, especially in mid Dec.

Lastly, if anyone has GPS tracks for the hike, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,

Dartmouth Hiker

Re: C2C/San Jacinto conditions

by Dartmouth Hiker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Looking at this, I'm not seeing any snow up there at present. That site isn't 100% accurate, but it's generally a pretty good benchmark. I'd bring microspikes, leave the rest unless the area gets any new precip this week. Looks like there's a chance for snowfall in a few days, but fairly minimal accumulation, so if that's the case my recommendation stands.

This should give you a good idea of temps at the summit. Generally, expect 10 degrees of change for every 3000' of elevation gained, same as CO.

Can't really help with the rest. Good luck!

RickF

Re: C2C/San Jacinto conditions

by RickF » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 pm

LTS,

I reccomend you check out this site:
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewforum. ... 137da57866

It's all about San Jacinto and there are several friendly, regular locals on this site who will let you know about current conditions and probably answer most of your questions.

Cheers, -Rick

Return to California