Car camping tent recommendations?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
cbeats

Car camping tent recommendations?

by cbeats » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm

With a new kid and the potential for more in the future (if this one doesn't kill me first), it seems like a good time to upgrade from the 2-person Eureka A-frame tent I've been using for car camping since I was 15. I've narrowed it down to the REI Base Camp 6, the Kelty Trail Ridge 6, and the ALPS Mountaineering Edge 6.

https://www.rei.com/product/862430/rei-base-camp-6-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/895963/kelty-trail-ridge-6-tent-with-footprint
https://www.rei.com/product/897528/alps-mountaineering-edge-6

The tent will be used primarily in the summer and fall in the Catskills and the Dacks, with occasional trips out West.

Planning on using my REI dividend so it looks like I'm forced to go with what seems to be the newer models for the Base Camp and the Trail Ridge. Pros of the Base Camp are the large vestibules and seemingly burlier (150 denier on the floor) materials; pros of the Kelty are the lighter weight (for meeting airline baggage guidelines, not for any masochistic backpacking) and that cool-looking stargazing fly; pros of the Edge 6 are that it's half the price of the other two tents :)

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with these tents? Again, as best as I can tell the REI and Kelty models are newer and most of the online reviews are for older versions. Thanks!

Tonka

Re: Car camping tent recommendations?

by Tonka » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:39 pm

I've had an REI Half Dome for years and it has handled the test of time for the price I paid. Their tents have gotten more expensive over the last 5+ years but the one here seems like the highest quality to me, though I find fabric sleeves for the poles a pain. But...for a car camping tent, the Alps is basically a no frills enlarged version of the basic 2 person, 2 door model and it has more square footage, is light and cheap. At $199 in the REI outlet and another 20% off with your member coupon before April 4th it would be hard to pass up that price ($160). Out of the three I'd get the REI if money was no object.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
cbeats

cbeats

Re: Car camping tent recommendations?

by cbeats » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:45 am

Thanks. Money is always a big fat object for me, but I'd prefer to pay more in the short term and have something last for a long time rather than getting a cheap tent that'll only last a year or two.

That said, as you pointed out 20% off an already discounted price is pretty hard to pass up. Never owned anything from ALPS Mountaineering but I haven't heard any horror stories about their products at least. I guess when in doubt, spend $160 rather than $355?

Return to Gear