San Bernardino Mountains 22-23 September

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Soldmax

San Bernardino Mountains 22-23 September

by Soldmax » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 pm

What would the community sudgest for the first time trekking experience in the US to a... :) Russian ski/moutaineer having 1-2 days free in California? I will be on business nearby LA for a week and thought should not loose a chance to experience moutnains that are half a planet away.
Mount Baldy? - any other option? forest fires? permits?
Any instructions, links, considerations that might help or are needed?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Soldmax on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonov

by simonov » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Unfortunately, your timing is very bad. Most of the San Gabriel Mountains have been closed due to the recent Station Fire, the worst fire in the history of the mountains.

However, there are several other mountain ranges not far from Los Angeles. I suggest you consider the San Gorgonio Wilderness in the San Bernardino Mountains, which is just a little farther away from LA. There is excellent backpacking as well as day hiking, including climbs to the summit of Mt San Gorgonio, at 3,506 meters the tallest peak in Southern California.

Permits are required for entry into the San Gorgonio Wilderness, but they are free. I'm not sure where to start at this point, because there are many choices, but you can read up on San Gorgonio at the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association page. They also have a simple message board.

Another option is Mt San Jacinto, near Palm Springs.

jonmeek16

by jonmeek16 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:13 am

The Eastern Sierra is only a few hours North. It makes for loooong day hikes but much more worth it especially if you are not out this way all that often. Lots of stuff out of LonePine you could tag on a one or two day trip.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:38 am

redneck wrote:Permits are required for entry into the San Gorgonio Wilderness, but they are free.

Are those $5 adventure-pass things still required, for parking?

johnm

by johnm » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:58 am

Day Hiker wrote:
redneck wrote:Permits are required for entry into the San Gorgonio Wilderness, but they are free.

Yes - Click here for Adventure Pass Information

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/welcome.shtml

And here for a map of where it applies in So Cal. Mouse over any region for greater details. Keep clicking to drill down.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/maps/index.shtml

Soldmax

by Soldmax » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied, I was thinking of San Bernardino and Gorgonio before too. I guess the trailhead of the first one must be easier to reach with a compact rental car-?
And I will consider the Eastern Sierra - should I take two full days off my business trip.

simonov

by simonov » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Soldmax wrote:Thanks a lot to everyone who replied, I was thinking of San Bernardino and Gorgonio before too. I guess the trailhead of the first one must be easier to reach with a compact rental car-?
And I will consider the Eastern Sierra - should I take two full days off my business trip.

The eastern Sierra is nice, but not five hours each way nice when you have San Gorgonio so close and limited time.

The following trailheads in San Gorgonio are easily accessible by rental car:

South Fork Trail
(paved parking lot).
San Bernardino Peak Trail (a few hundred meters up a mild dirt road).
Foresee Creek Trail (a few hundred meters up a nastier dirt road).
Anything out of Forest Falls (Vivian Creek, Momyer Trail, etc).

Aspen Grove can be done, but it's two miles up a crappy dirt road.
Fish Creek is five miles further along that road, which doesn't get any better. Not recommended. Which is a shame because the Aspen Grove/Fish Creek trail is my personal favorite up there.

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 003444050/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 150390802/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 762953989/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 716445247/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 691753765/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 878391377/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/se ... 315581382/ <-- just last weekend

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Day Hiker wrote:

If you get one of those "tickets".... just burn it.

My .02 go to Lone Pine....See Mt. Whitney, hike around the portal, the best chunk of rock in the USA. ....... only 3 hrs from LA.

Enjoy

Soldmax

Sad to read and learn about the Station Fire disaster

by Soldmax » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am

Changed the thread name - here I am in the California with a rented Hyundai Santa Fe. The question is pretty much the same (considering current Fires condition) - where should I better go for two days next week - San Bernardino, southern part of Sierra or Whitney area?

simonov

by simonov » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:39 pm

You already got my answer.

Blair

by Blair » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Just Hit Gorgonio Wilderness, and pick a peak. South Fork TR. Buy a Map at the ranger station on the way up @ $4.95 to assist in your on-the-fly motive!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Are those $5 adventure-pass things still required, for parking?

If you get one of those "tickets".... just burn it.

Yeah, I read about that before, and I'm with you on it. But I need to know: What jurisdiction or authority or legal recourse might they have? Are those issued by the NFS? I don't want to get arrested for an unpaid-ticket warrant the next time I get pulled over for speeding on I-15.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:57 pm

How hard of a hike do you want to do?

A really nice hike that doesn't take much energy is Mount San Jacinto from the top of the Palm Springs Tramway.

The hike to San Gorgonio via the Vivian Creek Trail or the South Fork Trail is a good workout and a nice hike.

The very southern Sierra isn't any prettier than the mountains in the San Bernardino National Forest. You have to go north of Olancha to really hit the nice areas in the Sierra.

Dartmouth Hiker

by Dartmouth Hiker » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Highly recommend Vivian Creek up San Gorgonio. Easy-to-get-to (and paved) road to the TH, straightforward route, and a long but satisfying day. If you can get to the ranger station and pick up one of the self-issue permits before dawn, even better!

Soldmax

by Soldmax » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:33 pm

It"s more or less clear with San Gorgonio for me - thanks for info on trailheads and roads.
I am in a hotel at the shore till Tuesday and my Wednesday is free, then flying back Thursday. So basicaly I will be moving anyway - either to San Bernardino or Bear Lake area or (as I understood very southern Sierra is just the same as Bernardino mountains) I can drive up to Lone Pine - I guess, stay there and try to do something in Whitney area.
How can the Whitney/Williamson acsent look - at least how much time to count on. Can it be done without harness and in medium hard treking boots?
Any links to guided/unguided Whitney/Williamson asccent resourses would be highly welcomed.
And again, thanks in advance.

Next

Return to California