Sierra west side weekend trip advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
goldenhopper

Sierra west side weekend trip advice

by goldenhopper » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm looking for a good 3/4 day backpack on the west side north of SEKI to South Yosemite/south of Yosemite as I'm meeting some friends coming from the Sacramento area that have little experience and stamina. Outside of winter trips I have little personal experience of the western slopes of the Sierra. It would be nice to start high enough to beat the heat without having to do any major passes because my group will be limited physically. Would like to end up at a lake of by a major river.

Was thinking...

Ostrander Lake/Heart Lake via Bridalveil Creek.
Dinky Lakes
Jenny Lake area

What is camping like near Bearpaw Meadow in the summer? Crowded?

Thanks folks...

96avs01

Re: Sierra west side weekend trip advice

by 96avs01 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 am

Recommend Dinkey Lakes, and would like to get into Jenny Lakes at some point.

Cliff Lake

Dogtooth Peak / 3 Sisters Panorama

Dogtooth Peak Alpenglow

colinr

by colinr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 am

Given your parameters, I'd rate Dinkey Lakes as the best of the above options. From Willow Meadow TH, you would hike in 1.2 miles to a junction. From the junction you could make a loop, passing by 4 lakes in as little as about 4.3 miles and with very little mandatory elevation gain. If the group can handle more than 6.7 miles round trip and is willing to take on some moderate hills, there are several options to increase the mileage or to make daytrips from camp by visiting several other lakes. If feeling ambitious, daytrips from Island Lake to the Three Sisters highpoint seems like a possibility.

Another option in Dinkey Lakes Wilderness (requiring more mandatory elevation gain and mileage with less water) is to head to Cliff Lake from Courtright Reservoir. From Cliff Lake, Three Sisters and Dogtooth are easily within reach and provide expansive views. Courtright is a great place to visit and car camp (free or paid) in itself and would keep y'all on paved roads for the trip to the TH. However, Cliff Lake is similar distance from the Willow Meadow TH, so I'd rate the Cliff Lake TH as more ideal for dayhiking from car camp if comparing the two options.

Backpacking to Ostrander Lake area would be my second of your listed choices for the group described, but would have more required gain, less lake options along the route, and require dealing with Yosemite fees, red tape, and
popularity. If the group hasn't been to Glacier Point or Sentinel Dome before, those would be easy add ons if there is time and energy left when back to the vehicles.

Given the group, backpacking to Jennie Lake would probably feel long, difficult, and boring compared to a trip in Dinkey Lakes. A trip to Weaver Lake from Fox Meadow TH would be easier for beginners than heading to Jennie Lake, but seems kind of dull, overly short, and lacking for great side trips.

Backpacking to Bearpaw Meadows seems risky for beginners lacking stamina, but there are campsites with bear boxes along the route.

Another suggestion besides Dinkey Lakes for your group is to head to the lakes east/northeast/north of Madera Peak from the Norris TH. Vanderburgh Lake, Lady Lake, Madera Lake, and Madera Peak are worthwhile with views of the Ritter Range and other grand scenery. Lillian, Chittenden, Shirley, Rainbow, Ruth, Flat, Monument, Fernandez, and other lakes would be within striking distance and a loop would be possible if preferred. Unlike Dinkey Lakes, hikes to worthwhile lakes in the area would require at least 1,000 feet of gain after starting around 7,600 feet. Dispersed/free or paid car camping is possible in the area before or after backpacking if interested.
Last edited by colinr on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. Dinky Lakes it is!

Steve, stop taking drugs. :wink:

Return to California