Palisades condition (west side)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hubix

Palisades condition (west side)

by hubix » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 am

Hi all,

we are planning a smaller version of the Palisade traverse this weekend. Thunderbolt to North Pal or Polemonium. Has anybody been there lately and can provide some beta?
I'm assuming there will be snow in the chutes up to Thunderbolt and in the Southwest Chute of the U-notch. Are crampons and ice axe needed or can we bypass the snow on the rocks?

Any info greatly appreciated,
Hubert

no avatar
KathyW

Re: Palisades condition (west side)

by KathyW » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:34 am

I was on Sill on Saturday. Went up via N. Couloir. I'm not really sure how much these will help, but here are some pics from Saturday:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... 30_Z9st9Wm

Bring 100% DEET with you.

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
hubix, johnr, myles

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:36 am

I saw a photo from this weekend of the west side. It was taken from the west from a long way away. Count on snow in the southwest chute of the U-notch. Also, it appeared that the talus fans were still snow covered.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:30 am

We just got back, there on Fri and Sat and camped on Thunderbolt Pass at the base of SW Chute #1. Snow across Dusy Basin (obnoxious sun cups) from 11k on up. We wore approach shoes and didn't have axes or pons, however not to say they wouldn't have been appreciated. In the afternoon, the snow is soft so it was no big deal, however we started up firm (frozen overnight) snow and it was not ideal without crampons. There were just enough small sun cups and rock hopping up to the base of the chute. Once in the chute there is snow the first couple hundred feet, up to about 12.9k. We climbed in the moat on the right side until we cleared the snow and got onto rock. There is snow in the entire Palisade basin up to the base of the rock. SW Chute #2 has a large bergschrund, but I don't imagine you would be going up that chute, #1 has no schrund.

Fill up water just before reaching the pass as there is no water unless you drop down to the partially frozen lake at 12k, which there is no real reason to. We had to melt snow, which was fine, but would have be unnecessary if we filled up prior.

Kathy W, I think I saw you heading up the Palisade glacier on Sat around 11am. Were you approaching the base of Sill then?

Good luck up there, there is a good amount of loose rock so be careful.

The following user would like to thank mtndonkey for this post
hubix, johnr

seano

by seano » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

A few shots from Columbine on 7/26/11. First, Palisade Basin, which is smooth hiking once it's dry:
T-bolt and North Pal:
A close-up of T-bolt, showing the chutes:

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
hubix, johnr

myles

by myles » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for those photos, Kathy. Saw a shot of where we're planning to go next week in the South Fork that's a big help.

peterh

by peterh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Here are some photos from Friday 7/22 of Thunderbolt's SW chute #1.

Panorama from Thunderbolt Pass:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/E28Ot8x_aAlDsbjk4uVcDQ?feat=directlink

Entire album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/peter.hawkins/ThunderboltPeak#

I backed off on the 4th class at about 13800ft because I was dayhiking solo and felt sketched out. The suncups between Bishop Pass and Thunderbolt Pass were very tedious (often a foot or more deep and continuous). I was happy I had an ice axe and crampons for the chute; you only need them up to the first chockstone.

The following user would like to thank peterh for this post
hubix, johnr

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 pm

mtndonkey wrote:Kathy W, I think I saw you heading up the Palisade glacier on Sat around 11am. Were you approaching the base of Sill then?

Yes, that was probably me - I looked at my clock when I was in the Palisade Glacier area and it said about 10 am - I figured out later that it was set on mountain time. I started too late from Sam Mack Meadow - the clock said 6:34 am when I got going from the meadow, but it was really 7:34 am. It was pretty quiet out there on Saturday and it ended up being a lot longer day than I anticipated - maybe it was all those suncups. It was beautiful out there though.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 pm

KathyW wrote:
mtndonkey wrote:Kathy W, I think I saw you heading up the Palisade glacier on Sat around 11am. Were you approaching the base of Sill then?

Yes, that was probably me - I looked at my clock when I was in the Palisade Glacier area and it said about 10 am - I figured out later that it was set on mountain time. I started too late from Sam Mack Meadow - the clock said 6:34 am when I got going from the meadow, but it was really 7:34 am. It was pretty quiet out there on Saturday and it ended up being a lot longer day than I anticipated - maybe it was all those suncups. It was beautiful out there though.

I'm still off on time. It was nice and bright out this morning when I went for my morning run. Mountain time is the other way; so I guess I started from Sam Mack at 5:34 am - that's why I saw the sun rise. I think I was at Glacier Notch by 11 am. It was such a nice clear day out that I never worried too much about time.

no avatar
RyanBr

by RyanBr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Hey Kathy,

I met you on your way down from Sam Mack. I was heading up and we talked for a while in passing. You gave me some beta on Winchell. I ended making it up there and had a great time. The East Arete was a really fun climb. I recommend it. The snow conditions going up weren't too bad but it wasn't so much fun coming down. The snow was soft and the sun cups were a pain. It was hard navigating through the soft snow and cups. Other than that it was a beautiful day.

Any ways, it was nice meeting you. Thanks for the beta.

-Ryan

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 am

I climbed Mount Johnson, just west of there, last weekend. I gotta reiterate what people are saying about the snow cups. The sun cups beat the crap out of me, reflecting the sun back at you, and just making travel difficult. While the snow was soft enough to get by without crampons, I was glad to have them (on my approach shoes).

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm

RyanBr wrote:Hey Kathy,

I met you on your way down from Sam Mack. I was heading up and we talked for a while in passing. You gave me some beta on Winchell. I ended making it up there and had a great time. The East Arete was a really fun climb. I recommend it. The snow conditions going up weren't too bad but it wasn't so much fun coming down. The snow was soft and the sun cups were a pain. It was hard navigating through the soft snow and cups. Other than that it was a beautiful day.

Any ways, it was nice meeting you. Thanks for the beta.

-Ryan

Yes, that was me with my head net on. I was glad to be able to take that off by the time I reached Third Lake. It was very nice to meet you out there. I'm glad you made Winchell - that one has been on my list for a while - that's why I had the beta with me, but after Sill I was just too exhausted to even consider Winchell.

no avatar
sdtrackrunner

by sdtrackrunner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:50 am

Bump!

If anyone has any more recent photos of Dusy Basin and especially Southwest Chute #1 on Thunderbolt Peak, I would greatly appreciate seeing them. Just wondering which shoes/boots to bring this weekend.
Thanks,
-Immelda

Return to California