Solitude ski resort wants to expand into Silver Fork

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
seanpeckham

Solitude ski resort wants to expand into Silver Fork

by seanpeckham » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:13 am

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_13860390

First Alta's proposed expansion up Flagstaff Mountain, and now this. The ski resorts just want it all. Greedy bastards. I hope this cancerous insanity gets thoroughly shouted down, and in fact I'd like to see Silver Fork included in the Twin Peaks Wilderness Area.

P.S. It's pretty funny that someone got the idea that the Meadow Chutes are 50-60 degrees. Maybe we should try to convince them that they do not want the liability of their customers skiing 60 degree slopes.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:59 am

My favorite part of the article:
Solitude's Justification for the land request: "Utah skier visits grew 37 percent in the past decade, Wasatch Front population growth is projected to grow 65 percent in the next 20 years, increasing the need for recreational opportunities in the mountains."

Well of course! That makes perfect sense. Let's tear up Silver Fork and desecrate it for all Late-spring, Summer and Fall use, then make it available for $70/day to a largely affluent crowd to ski December-April. That should be the model for all use of public/forest land in the Wasatch. Heaven forbid those needing recreational opportunities be relegated to using their legs and lungs to explore the wilderness unaided by ski lifts, restaurants and warming huts.

Travis Atwood

by Travis Atwood » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 am

marauders wrote:Heaven forbid those needing recreational opportunities be relegated to using their legs and lungs to explore the wilderness unaided by ski lifts, restaurants and warming huts.

Well said...

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:42 pm

This is just the latest threat to the touring community in the Wasatch. If Alta builds the Flagstaff lift and Solitude expands into Silver Fork, it will drastically reduce the amount of acreage available for touring. All of Silver Fork, Emma, and Flagstaff will become torn-up resort crap skiing. Also, with lifts going up to that ridge, upper Days and Cardiff will turn into "slackcountry," available to any jackass who can ride a lift up there and pop out of a gate.

Add to this the fact that the USFS just renewed the PowderPigs heli-skiing lease for another 10 years. Whatever happened to multiple use? The Wasatch is simply too small to allow resorts and heli-skiers endless expansions.

Save Our Canyons' Take

If you care about keeping Silver Fork for the touring community, write to the officials below:

Cathy Kahlow District Ranger
Uinta/Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Salt Lake Ranger District
6944 S 3000E
Salt Lake City Utah 84121
EMAIL= ckahlow@fs.fed.us

Brian Ferebee Forest Supervisor-bferebee@fs.fed.us
Uinta/Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Federal Building
125S State Street
Salt Lake City Utah 84138
EMAIL=bferebee@fs.fed.us

Ed F

by Ed F » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:46 pm

It's pretty funny that someone got the idea that the Meadow Chutes are 50-60 degrees. Maybe we should try to convince them that they do not want the liability of their customers skiing 60 degree slopes.

Ha. "Chutes? Where are the chutes?"

The funny thing is that while this area is fantastic for ski touring, it would be a marginal at best in-bounds area. It's not particularly steep, and with thousands of tracks, it would just be another east-facing, icy, moguled blue resort run. I think Flagstaff would be similar.

I'd like to see Silver Fork included in the Twin Peaks Wilderness Area.

Hell, yes. See the Save Our Canyons link above.

seanpeckham

by seanpeckham » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Letters sent. Thanks for the contacts. Hope it does some good.

seanpeckham

by seanpeckham » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm

A few excerpts from my letter (I can be longwinded when I'm pissed):

Solitude claims that it cannot meet future demand for recreation on public lands. Why is that Solitude's responsibility? And how does putting a $70 per person price tag on access to public land that is currently free constitute an expansion of opportunity, for anyone but the most affluent?

Silver Fork offers the safest and most accessible snowmobile-free backcountry skiing in a significant north facing drainage in the entire Wasatch. If Solitude gets Silver Fork, and Alta gets a lift up Flagstaff Moutain as it has proposed, then there will be practically nowhere left in SL county to ski tour during elevated avalanche danger except the lower-elevation hills north of Big Cottonwood Canyon road and a couple of spots in the Brighton Lakes area, assuming Alta doesn't also completely take over Grizzly Gulch eventually. The existing Wilderness areas are steep and rugged and for the most part and for the skill levels of most people only safe when avalanche danger is relatively low. To not have access to what little of the alpine terrain of the Cottonwood Canyons is neither advanced and dangerous nor already monopolized by the ski resorts puts a suffocating squeeze on the options available to the backcountry user group. This squeeze is further compounded by the heli-skiing operations that crowd us, sometimes endanger our safety, and destroy our prized sense of being in the "backcountry." There is simply not space for further resort expansion in the Wasatch. All user groups, not just resorts, face increasing demand for fixed and limited acreage.

More to the point of Solitude's argument, I read their proposal and I can't make any logical sense out of how they can appeal to their business under-performance as justification for measures to make their resort more "attractive", at the same time that they argue that future demand for skiing will skyrocket such that they will not be able to meet it. Seems like they will make the maximum profit possible for their level of capital investment, UNLESS they expand. In the short term, at least. In the long term, they have to count on getting back into this exact same "dilemma" in order to maximize return on the expansion investment. Which they no doubt will, since the population will continue to increase. What then, do we give the resorts Days Fork too? And then Cardiff? Where does this insanity end? How about right here and now.

Return to Utah