Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby Josh Lewis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 am

:lol: Oh Dr. Phil, he will be missed. But the virtual pumpkin pie is appreciated!
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States
Thanked: 437 times in 307 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby MarkDidier » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:54 am

Lolli wrote:Yeah, sure, and hell hath no fury like a man scorned.

;-)



Bells Brewery (Kalamazoo, MI) has a beer for that. Very tasty I might add!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/20604
User Avatar
MarkDidier

 
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:24 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Thanked: 47 times in 35 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby lcarreau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:30 am

Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 814 times in 614 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby Lolli » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Corax wrote:
lcarreau wrote:It's all social behavior, typical of people in LOVE with themselves and the internet.


:D
Well said. Agreed to the full.

anita wrote:I don't know why anyone would use SP (slow) to plan trips when there is email (fast), facebook (fast), msn (fast) and telephone (super fast).


Very true. Who would make any serious plans based on a chat conversation with the SP chat function?
It's obvious that it's the ultimate favorite tool for trolls though.


There's a difference between SP chat and other chats?
Like Facebook would be a great example of a serious tool... :?

The point is, this is the same old telling others what and how they should do.
To each his own, I say. It's up to each and everyone to do exactly as they please.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!
User Avatar
Lolli

 
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Sweden
Thanked: 108 times in 67 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby MoapaPk » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:53 pm

User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7576
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 730 times in 470 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby nartreb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm

For the record, Matt has fixed the fake-vote "feature" that I demonstrated for Mr Chad in this thread. My larger point that "SP was not built with security in mind" is still valid, and I've been in touch with Matt about one or two particular improvements.

(BTW, I'm sure I emailed or PMed Josh and/or Ryle about the fake vote exploit, over a year ago. Much better this time around, thanks Matt.)
User Avatar
nartreb

 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: online or in boston, Massachusetts, United States
Thanked: 95 times in 79 posts

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Bob Sihler, lcarreau, mrchad9

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby butitsadryheat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 am

Lolli wrote:There's a difference between SP chat and other chats?
Like Facebook would be a great example of a serious tool... :?

The point is, this is the same old telling others what and how they should do. To each his own, I say. It's up to each and everyone to do exactly as they please.


Where did she tell anyone what to do or how to do it? I don't see it. Anywhere. I only see her explaining what she has seen on her end as a result of chat (for which you implied she gets what she deserves for associating with others whom you disagree), and her opinion of it.

anita wrote:so far all I've gotten out of chat was messages from trolls, messages in incoherent english asking if I like men, and other crap. I really highly doubt the people using it the most are doing so to help improve SP's content, or building pages or what not. they use it to chit-chat in private, that's all. lets be honest about it: it's a social feature for buddies to chat.
User Avatar
butitsadryheat

 
Posts: 8247
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California, United States
Thanked: 1295 times in 941 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Is is possible to make the chat window bigger? The default is kindof small and if someone types more than a short sentence you cannot see it all easily.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1187 times in 800 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Is is possible to make the chat window bigger? The default is kindof small and if someone types more than a short sentence you cannot see it all easily.

Hmmm, I don't know. I know that there is an option for "Pop out chat". Have you tried that? It's under Chat -> Status -> Pop Out Chat
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 335 times in 181 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby lcarreau » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:25 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
Lolli wrote:There's a difference between SP chat and other chats?
Like Facebook would be a great example of a serious tool... :?

The point is, this is the same old telling others what and how they should do. To each his own, I say. It's up to each and everyone to do exactly as they please.


Where did she tell anyone what to do or how to do it? I don't see it. Anywhere. I only see her explaining what she has seen on her end as a result of chat (for which you implied she gets what she deserves for associating with others whom you disagree), and her opinion of it.

anita wrote:so far all I've gotten out of chat was messages from trolls, messages in incoherent english asking if I like men, and other crap. I really highly doubt the people using it the most are doing so to help improve SP's content, or building pages or what not. they use it to chit-chat in private, that's all. lets be honest about it: it's a social feature for buddies to chat.


Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 814 times in 614 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Is is possible to make the chat window bigger? The default is kindof small and if someone types more than a short sentence you cannot see it all easily.

Hmmm, I don't know. I know that there is an option for "Pop out chat". Have you tried that? It's under Chat -> Status -> Pop Out Chat

OK- that I hadn't noticed. That will be better at times, but it is strange that the pop out seems to be a fixed size, that you cannot adjust it. A little better though thanks.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1187 times in 800 posts

Notification of Summit Log Signing

Postby SawtoothSean » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 am

Thanks Matt for your contributions. While Chatting and Apps are not exactly for my interest in being here, I appreciate the effort to make SP better. I really like the Suggested Mountains and Partners addition.

For a long while, I've been requesting and wanting a notification when someone signs a summit log for a page you own. Even better, would be a global option where you can get notified when any mountain has been signed. There could be an option next to the summit register link or on the actual summit log page that says "Notify Me When Summit Log is Signed" or such.

I see this a really useful tool for determining when historically to climb a peak, what people are climbing recently, and when someone signs your page.

Thanks for consideration of this.
User Avatar
SawtoothSean

 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Mountains of, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 am

SawtoothSean wrote:For a long while, I've been requesting and wanting a notification when someone signs a summit log for a page you own. Even better, would be a global option where you can get notified when any mountain has been signed. There could be an option next to the summit register link or on the actual summit log page that says "Notify Me When Summit Log is Signed" or such.

I see this a really useful tool for determining when historically to climb a peak, what people are climbing recently, and when someone signs your page.

Thanks for consideration of this.

I like this idea Sean. And it shouldn't be too terribly hard to implement. I'll add it to my list of things TO DO :)
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 335 times in 181 posts

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
Josh Lewis, SawtoothSean

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby SawtoothSean » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks!

Remember, you will never make everyone satisfied with changes and performance. If most people are happy, then you're doing things right.

Great work.
User Avatar
SawtoothSean

 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Mountains of, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 3 times in 3 posts

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Postby Corax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
If the chat bar bothers you, hide it and don't use it. It's really as simple as that.


Or Firefox users can kill it all with Adblock Plus.
Add the below string in the blockable items meny:

summitpost.org/phpBB3/arrowchat*

Then you wont see any of the crap.
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire
User Avatar
Corax

 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:13 pm
Thanked: 16 times in 8 posts

The following user would like to thank Corax for this post
dadndave, Luc, Montana Matt, TimB

Previous

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.