Suggestion: Get rid of POTD & POTW, show random picture

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
lcarreau

Re: Suggestion: Get rid of POTD & POTW, show random picture

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 am

But, let's get real. A lot of folks DO create albums just to feature their own images.

I'm also GUILTY of letting this get under my skin, and down-voting doesn't work.

I'm for more folks getting an equal chance, and gotta agree with Chad's idea of LIMITING people who have had their turn.

In other words, YES WE CAN.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 am

Bob Sihler wrote:The POTD/POTW racket here used to really get under my skin, but I realized nothing was going to change and just let it go.

But now I think you realize that it doesn't have to be that way. Matt has been making some good enhancements to the site. The mechanism can be changed, and that will eliminate the racket.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 am

phlipdascrip wrote:At the risk of getting flamed (have at it): A prime example are the current two PsOTD/W which IMO are nothing more but an insult to the high quality pictures found throughout the depths of SP.

BLASPHEMOUS!

All pictures from the Karakorum region should/are automatically default to POTD/W. I know this for a fact because I once took a picture of a pile of shit, named it K8 and it made POTD.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 am

Afzal's photos ARE amazing -- but he has an excellent subject matter. I love my local desert peaks, but I have to admit the Trango Towers are a lot more impressive!

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Afzal

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 am

I am also all for getting rid of POD and POW. I could go on forever how amusing but quite annoying people try to "push" their photo into that category. And although I also had my share of PODs, I honestly and without hesitation say that there usually are many better photos (in the sense of photographic quality) than the ones that make it to POD or POW. As I said so many times, it really has nothing to do with quality (in most cases). You can just stop caring or propose a change. A random selection sounds good to me. I would advocate that the following day a selection of maybe 10 pictures from the previous day are chosen by a distinguished panel :) and those 10 could rotate throughout the day.

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
Afzal

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 am

MoapaPk wrote:Afzal's photos ARE amazing -- but he has an excellent subject matter. I love my local desert peaks, but I have to admit the Trango Towers are a lot more impressive!

Agreed.... but after POD after POD after POD of those towers they start to loose their mystique....

Afzal, mrchad9, Tonka

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:Afzal's photos ARE amazing -- but he has an excellent subject matter. I love my local desert peaks, but I have to admit the Trango Towers are a lot more impressive!

How did this make it even close to being POTD?
http://www.summitpost.org/hisper-la-pas ... tan/679036

You answered your own question some posts above :)

Afzal

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 am

Vitaliy M wrote:

How did this make it even close to being POTD?
http://www.summitpost.org/hisper-la-pas ... tan/679036

Those are Yeti hiding in the shadows -- look at the original size version.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 am

SoCalHiker wrote: A random selection sounds good to me. I would advocate that the following day a selection of maybe 10 pictures from the previous day are chosen by a distinguished panel :) and those 10 could rotate throughout the day.

Aaaaa, would THIS be a distinguished member of the randomly chosen panel ???

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
PAROFES

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 am

Since it seems most folks are sick of seeing the same photo for a week even if it is an amazing one (which is often, not always, is), how about this for a solution...

There are two spots currently. Lets use one for a random photo, perhaps with some criteria behind it (submitted less than X days ago and/or score above X and/or number of votes or hits above X). The criteria could be quite modest, or have none at all.

The other spot would show the POTD, and if a member has a photo that was there in the previous 30-45 days, they are ineligible to be there again.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

mrchad wrote: (submitted less than X days ago and/or score above X and/or number of votes or hits above X). The criteria could be quite modest ...

Man, that's a lot of X's. Perhaps the "X-Men" could devise a plan..

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

Rather than focus on a particular member or members, I think it's better to stay on the path of offering constructive solutions.

That said, what Vitaliy wrote about voting cliques is spot-on. Anyone who hasn't read this before should: http://www.summitpost.org/the-infallible-method-to-become-potd-and-potw/487273. It is hilarious at times, but it also hits the nail on the head perfectly.

SoCalHiker wrote:I would advocate that the following day a selection of maybe 10 pictures from the previous day are chosen by a distinguished panel :) and those 10 could rotate throughout the day.

#1-- There's only so much room on the front page unless we want to make it really, really long, which I suspect most members wouldn't like.

#2-- No one on the staff wants to go through each day's pictures individually, and making a group effort would be too difficult.

What I would be willing to do is something like this: Make three spots for picture displays. One is for a scenery shot, another a beta picture, and the third an off-topic one such as a wildflower or animal found in the mountains. Each day, I would look at new mountains, routes, areas, and trip reports and select one new picture for each of the three categories. (I would promise not to select my own.) If I had to be away, another elf could take over or the pictures could just stay until I returned. That would be a lot of work for me, but I'd certainly be willing to take it on.

I'm still partial to my idea of two or three Photo of the Hour selections, given a little rigging so that it can't be totally manipulated by a single person (for example, not allowing more than one picture by the same member to be displayed at a time).

I don't like the idea of setting long time limits, or really any at all, until a person could be featured again because it is possible that you could quickly run out of quality candidates.

My two cents in case Matt sees this and gives it some thought...
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 am

Not a "constructive" solution, but maybe the Yeti could be "bought off" for more votes ???

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 am

Has a picture of scat ever made POTD? Not the Mel Torme kind, but the poop kind.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 am

MoapaPk wrote:Has a picture of scat ever made POTD? Not the Mel Torme kind, but the poop kind.

It would attract my attention a little better than the trango towers in the 300 times its been POTD
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback