Suggestions for Bolivian peaks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Luciano136

Suggestions for Bolivian peaks?

by Luciano136 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:42 am

What's a fun peak that is fairly accessible from La Paz? 6000m+ would be nice but not the end of the world if it is not. Huayna Potosi seems like the logical choice but not sure if my wife will enjoy the exposure of the summit ridge. Any other recommendations?

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Suggestions for Bolivian peaks?

by rgg » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:44 pm

By far the easiest peak near La Paz is Chacaltaya. The walk up is short and real easy, and the views are great. It's not a 6000-er though.

Above the 6000 mark, there isn't anything easier than Huayna Potosi near La Paz. A bit further away, on the border with Chile, lies Parinacota (6342m). Also a walk up, but a very long one. Apart from the altitude, strong winds in the area sometimes pose a problem, more so than in the Cordillera Real. If you are well acclimatized, it normally takes three to four days from La Paz and back. Late in the season the snow on the route may be gone, but earlier on you may need crampons.

boisedoc

by boisedoc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I think that Huayna is probably the easiest 6000 meter peak in the Cordillera Real. I did not think the final ridge was quite as bad as it looks in pictures or videos. The easiest 6000 meter peaks in Bolivia are out in the desert- Parinacota or Acotango- I climbed Parinacota and was happy to climb a 6000m peak but it was not really as fun or scenic as the Cordillera Real. Another peak I researched is Mururata- this is under 6000m but close to Illimani and appears to be a pretty straightforward glacier climb (it does not appear to be popular and there is not a whole lot online about it).

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:52 pm

boisedoc wrote:I think that Huayna is probably the easiest 6000 meter peak in the Cordillera Real. I did not think the final ridge was quite as bad as it looks in pictures or videos. The easiest 6000 meter peaks in Bolivia are out in the desert- Parinacota or Acotango- I climbed Parinacota and was happy to climb a 6000m peak but it was not really as fun or scenic as the Cordillera Real. Another peak I researched is Mururata- this is under 6000m but close to Illimani and appears to be a pretty straightforward glacier climb (it does not appear to be popular and there is not a whole lot online about it).

How does Potosi compare to Pisco? It looks like your profile pic is taken on top of that one :) ?

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm

I suppose it all depends on the state of the glaciers at the time that you climb. I climbed Huayna Potosi late in the season in 2009, and Pisco in the middle of the season in 2011. I didn't find either of them difficult, but would rate Pisco as the easier of the two.

Climbers high on Pisco

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 pm

rgg wrote:I suppose it all depends on the state of the glaciers at the time that you climb. I climbed Huayna Potosi late in the season in 2009, and Pisco in the middle of the season in 2011. I didn't find either of them difficult, but would rate Pisco as the easier of the two.

Climbers high on Pisco

Thanks! Yea, I didn't think Pisco was particularly difficult either. It's really all about acclimatization. Potosi is higher, so it would make sense that is a little more difficult. We climbed Pisco in a very dry year; the only somewhat exposed part was the last steep stretch to the summit; 50-ish degrees I believe.

Return to South America