temple crag conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ChugachMan

temple crag conditions

by ChugachMan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 am

Thinking about a temple crag trip soon - anyone up there last weekend to know the current snow conditions? Thanks!

kellendv

Re: temple crag conditions

by kellendv » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I was there June 4th. It's been a couple of weeks, so they may not be helpful, but here is a link to photos from our trip. I suppose you can count on there being less snow than in these photos. . .

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 030431f83c

no avatar
tradmonkey

by tradmonkey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Kellen, was good to meet you up there a couple of weeks ago. Hope your climb went well - looked like the weather held up for you. I was up there again on Sunday with some more of the SDMRT crew. I already sent these to the ChucahMan, but in case someone else is interested, here's a set of photos from last Fri/Sat/Sun https://picasaweb.google.com/tradmonkey ... RTCar2Car#. I didn't tag any peak names in the gallery, but we did Agassiz on Fri, Temple on Sat, and Dragon on Sun.

The following user would like to thank tradmonkey for this post
saltlick

fossana

by fossana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:27 am

Climbed Moon Goddess today. The snow was surprisingly consolidated all day with the exception of the summit snowfield, which is the only place I postholed (this can be easily avoided by the less direct talus line). It was even a bit firm in spots below SRA. There is currently a stable snowbridge at the usual river crossing below Third Lake; not sure how long it will last.

saltlick

by saltlick » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Adam - Great photos! I'm headed up to try the T-Bolt to Sill traverse Fri/Sat, and your set helped greatly with my planning.

Looks like y'all had a fine time up there...

ChugachMan

by ChugachMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:50 am

Cool, thanks guys. Fossana - would you say it was consolidated enough to still want crampons for the decent gully in the later afternoon? That's awesome that you got to get up there mid-week, and nice job on the solo.

Thanks!

The following user would like to thank ChugachMan for this post
fossana

fossana

by fossana » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks, ChugachMan. When I was up there it wasn't consistently firm enough to merit crampons either in the morning or afternoon, but it was helpful to have an ice axe for the glissade and for the intermittent but short icy spots. I think the temps have been stable for the past week.

The following user would like to thank fossana for this post
ChugachMan

ChugachMan

by ChugachMan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Great conditions over the weekend, with snow as described by Fossana. As for a little route info, if anyone is heading to sun-ribbon, it'd be good to bring a lot of extra chord/webbing to reinforce/replace the tyrolean and most of the rap slings.

The following user would like to thank ChugachMan for this post
fossana

fossana

by fossana » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Did Moon Goddess & Venusian on Friday (yes, I realize I'm boring). The snow bridge is gone. Used the log crossing just below Third Lake with the easy boulder problem finish in the morning. The river was too high in the afternoon to go back the same way but there was a passable log jam at the outlet to Third Lake. Snow conditions were still good, no postholing and not firm enough to merit crampons.

The following user would like to thank fossana for this post
rhyang

QITNL

by QITNL » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Someone asked the same question at the Taco. Apologies for the cross-post, I put some pictures here:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... msg1545187

fossana

by fossana » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm

A couple sets of friends went up early this week. The Third Lake outlet log crossing was pretty much under water in the morning. The Second Lake dam crossing is the best way to go.

twicken2

by twicken2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 am

fwiw, I had no issues with the log crossing at the outlet of third lake on Saturday.. the water was high enough that I did it barefoot, but all the logs were stable. The mosquitoes on either side were the crux!

fossana

by fossana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm

I had no problems Friday either. The updated report is from Mon/Tue.

fossana

by fossana » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 pm

We attempted to do Temple/Galey/Sill yesterday but got shut down by the winds on the summit of Temple. Didn't bother checking out the Third Lake crossings given time constraints. Crampons will make the Temple glacier crossing much faster/safer; it was too firm to kick steps in the morning (~6:30 am).

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

thanx 4 the update :)

Next

Return to California